If you frequently shop at the Real Canadian Superstore and are a lover of PC Optimum points, the PC Express service can make your life a lot easier.
I wasn’t always a fan of online grocery ordering. Personally, I like to choose my produce and don’t mind walking the aisles and doing a few kilometres in mileage while getting groceries on a weekly basis.
That being said, I have become way too busy recently and using PC Express saves me roughly 2 hours per week. Also, with social distancing becoming a requirement these days, grocery pickup services are popular than ever.
Here’s a quick guide to PC Express and how their pickup and delivery service works.
What is PC Express?
PC Express is the grocery pickup and delivery service operated by Loblaws and their various grocery and retail stores.
Formerly known as “Click and Collect,” PC Express pickup services are available at over 700 locations, including:
- Real Canadian Superstore
- Atlantic Superstore
- No Frills
- Your Independent Grocer
- Wholesale Club
With PC Express, you no longer need to step inside the store. Simply place an order and go pick it up or have it delivered to your doorstep.
The PC Express App is available on iOS and Android devices.
How Does PC Express Pickup Work?
To get started, visit PCExpress.ca and choose a store. The stores available will depend on your province.
For example, in Ontario, you can use PC Express to shop at nine different retailers. In Manitoba, it’s only three.
You will be taken to a page with all the pickup locations in your area.
If for some reason the map defaults to Ontario or somewhere else, enter your address or postal code to narrow down the locations to your area.
You are now taken to the store’s website where you can select a timeslot and add items to your cart.
Note that available timeslots are now several days out due to the current surge in online shopping.
If you already earn PC Optimum points and have an account, you can easily fill your cart by visiting your “My Shop” section and choosing your regulars from either the “Most Purchased” or “Past Orders” section.
You can also create a list for your next order.
Enter a payment card. I use my PC World Elite Mastercard to earn more PC points. Payment won’t occur until after you pick up your order. Discounts available in the store also reflect on the prices available online.
Here is a list of cash back credit cards you can use when shopping for groceries.
If any of the items on your list is not available, the personal shoppers try to make reasonable substitutions. If you are not satisfied with the substituted product, you can remove them from your order during pickup.
Shortages have been more common in the past couple of weeks and the substitutes they suggest usually work for me.
PC Express Pickup
Depending on your province, you can pick up orders at the grocery store, use self-serve or neighbourhood pickup, and pick up at select GO and TTC stations.
For grocery store pick-ups, you will get an email and/or text message when your order is ready.
Park your vehicle in one of the designated parking spots and call the number provided on the app. They will ask if you are okay with the substituted items and proceed to bring your order.
Normally, PC Express pickups cost between $3 to $5. These fees are being waived for now.
I have a PC Insider subscription and it offers the opportunity to:
- Earn more points at 200 PC Optimum points (20% back) for every $1 spent on PC Organics, Joe Fresh, baby diapers and formula (all brands), and beautyBOUTIQUE
- Free shipping and grocery pick-up. The PC Express pick-up fee is waived with your membership
- $99 PC Travel services credit
- Exclusive offers on PC insiders collection
- One surprise gift delivered annually
A PC Insiders subscription costs $9.99/month or $99/year.
When you sign up using the promo code EO1502, you get a 25% discount off the annual subscription.
Sometimes, they also offer promotional codes where you get up to 50,000 PC Optimum points ($50 value) when you sign up for a PC Insiders account.
How Does PC Express Delivery Work?
PC Express offers same-day home delivery via their partnership with Instacart.
To get started, order your groceries online as usual and choose the delivery option.
Service and delivery fees apply and vary based on the size of your order, delivery time and location. The minimum order size to use PC Express Delivery is $10.
It is virtually impossible to get a PC Express Delivery slot in my area right now.
You may have better luck placing your order directly via the Instacart app.
Online Grocery Delivery Options in Canada
Some other options in Canada for grocery delivery include:
1. Instacart: This grocery delivery service is available in Ontario, British Columbia, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, PEI, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick and Newfoundland.
In Manitoba, you can use Instacart to shop at Walmart, Superstore, Shoppers Drug Mart, Staples, Wholesale Club and Bulk Barn.
When you become a member of Instacart Express, you enjoy unlimited free deliveries on all orders over $35. Instacart Express comes with a monthly/annual fee.
2. Inabuggy: They deliver groceries in as little as one hour from Costco, Walmart, Safeway, Freshco, Sobeys, Metro and others. Inabuggy is available in Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, Calgary and Edmonton.
A $19.98 picking, packing and delivery fee applies. Additional stores in the same order cost $9.99 each.
3. Walmart Grocery Delivery: This service is available in some areas and costs $9.97 for picking, packing and delivering your order. The minimum order amount is $50 before taxes and fees.
The cut-off time for Walmart grocery delivery is 10:30 pm PST. Their pickup and delivery orders and timeslots are currently limited to an 8-day window.
4. Costco Grocery Delivery: Costco grocery delivery normally delivers in two days, however, it is currently running at 9-10 days due to the current emergency situation. You need to be a Costco member to use this service.
There is no delivery fee on orders of $75 or more and there is no minimum order.
5. Save on Foods: This retailer operates in British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba and the Yukon territory. Shop online and either select pickup or delivery.
Are there other grocery pickup and delivery services in your area? Mention them in the comments!