Here are some of the promotions and bonuses currently being offered by banks in Canada.
Whether it’s a chequing or savings account, or even credit cards and investments, customers can score ‘free’ cash when they open a new bank account.
I have to include a word of caution here though: when it comes to getting free money from a bank, particularly the big banks, read the fine print.
Unlike credit card churning where you can often just cancel your card, divorcing your bank and moving your chequing elsewhere may not be as easy. Depending on the T&C’s, you may need to pay them back your bonus if you have not met all the conditions in the contract you signed.
In addition, also check that any fees associated with your account are worth your while.
Bank Promo Offers in Canada
Check out the banks and digital investment services offering a bonus when you open a new account. For more details about the terms and conditions of each offer, visit the bank’s website.
These offers usually get extended or repeated throughout the year. So, if you are interested and the offer dates have expired, monitor their website for the most current offering.
RBC Bank Account Promotion
RBC is offering to give new customers up to $300 when they open one of three RBC all-inclusive accounts (this offer replaces the previous free 9.7″ iPad offer).
The accounts eligible for the offer are:
- RBC No Limit Banking ($10.95 monthly fee)
- RBC Signature No Limit Banking ($15.95 monthly fee), or
- RBC VIP Banking ($30 monthly fee)
To qualify for the $300 offer, you cannot have an existing RBC bank account and must open one of the qualifying accounts by February 27, 2020. Also, you will need to set up two of the following: i) a payroll direct deposit, ii) two pre-authorized monthly payments, or iii) two bill payments to a service provider, by April 30, 2020.
Value of promo: $300
Caveats: Obviously, these accounts come with some added perks for the monthly fees. However, if you are looking to pay $0 per month for a bank account, these accounts do not qualify.
Also, you will need to keep your account in good standing for at least one year. Read more here.
TD Bank Promotions
*Offer Expired* Get $300 when you open a TD Unlimited Chequing Account or TD All-Inclusive Banking Plan.
To qualify, your account must be opened by October 31, 2019, and you must complete any two of the following by December 27, 2019:
- Set up direct deposit – payroll or pension
- Set-up a pre-authorized debit for at least $50
- Register for online banking and make an online bill payment for at least $50
Value of promo: $300
Caveats: The TD unlimited chequing has a monthly fee of $15.95 while the TD all-inclusive plan comes with a $29.95 monthly fee. Read the fine print.
Tangerine Chequing and Savings Accounts Promos
Tangerine Bank routinely offers bonuses when you open a new chequing or savings account. Unlike the big banks, Tangerine savings and chequing accounts do not have a monthly fee and they pay you interest on your chequing account balance!
Tangerine is a subsidiary of Scotiabank.
High-Interest Savings Account: Get a 2.75% promotional rate for 6 months and 1.05% after. You can also score an additional $50 in cash if you sign up with an eligible Tangerine Orange Key Code and deposit at least $250. Read more here.
Chequing (currently inactive): They offer up to $200 in cash bonuses when you open a new chequing account and:
- Deposit at least $100, and
- Set up payroll direct deposit for at least 3 consecutive months, or
- Set up 2 pre-authorized debits of at least $50 each that continue for at least 3 consecutive months.
Read my Tangerine review here.
Value of promo: 2.75% on savings for 6 months and up to a $200 bonus.
Caveats: Tangerine Bank is mostly an online-only bank and may not be an option if you prefer an in-person visit to a branch for all your transactions.
BMO is offering a $100 cash bonus when you open a new chequing account (performance plan – $100 or premium plan – $100) by January 31, 2020.
To qualify, you must make a deposit, set up a direct deposit and complete an online bill payment for two consecutive months (minimum $50 each).
Value of promo: $100
Caveats: A BMO performance plan chequing account comes with a $15.95 monthly fee and for the premium plan, it is $30. These fees are waived if you meet the minimum balance requirement. Read more here.
Simplii Financial Promotions
Similar to Tangerine, Simplii Financial is an online-only bank owned by CIBC and offers no-fee chequing and a high-interest savings account. They routinely offer promos on their chequing account and it pays interest.
Chequing Account: Earn up to $200 when you open a new chequing account. To qualify:
- Open an account by October 31, 2019 (expired).
- Set up an eligible payroll or pension direct deposit within 90 days and receive at least two deposits.
- Set up two pre-authorized bill payments to two different recipients for at least 2 months ($4 or more each).
Read my Simplii Financial review and check out the fine print for the offer.
Value of promo: $200
Caveat: Online-only bank.
HSBC Chequing Account Promo
HSBC will pay you up to $700 when you open an HSBC chequing account and meet all the requirements.
To qualify for the maximum $700, you will need to:
- Deposit at least $25,000 in an HSBC premier chequing account and register for online banking within one month of opening your account (get $500 cash).
- Set up recurring payroll direct deposit within 3 months of opening your account (get $100 cash), and
- Apply for an HSBC credit card (get up to $100 in travel rewards).
Value of promo: Up to $700 (*expired*)
Caveats: There are many moving parts to this promo offer. For example, Instead of an HSBC premier chequing account, you can choose to open an HSBC advance or performance chequing account with minimum balances of $5,000 and $1,000 respectively. In this case, instead of a $500 bonus, you receive $300 or $100 respectively.
Also, if you are looking for a no-fee chequing account, you are going to be disappointed.
- HSBC Premier: $34.95 monthly fee
- HSBC Advance: $25
- Performance chequing (unlimited): $14.95
- Performance chequing (limited): $4
There are options to waive the monthly fees if you meet the minimum combined deposit and investment balance requirements. Read more here.
**While the regular offer is not currently running, HSBC is offering Newcomers to Canada up to $700 when they open a new account and meet the eligibility requirements.**
CIBC Bank Promotion
Open a new CIBC Smart Account and get a waiver on the monthly fee for up to 12 months.
To qualify for the offer:
- Open an account (3 months free)
- Set up direct deposit or two pre-authorized debits (9 months free)
Following the 12-month promotional period, a monthly fee of up to $14.95 applies if your daily balance falls below $3,000.
Value of promo: Save $179.40 ($14.95 x 12 months) in fees.
Caveat: This is not a no-fee account and you will need to keep a minimum balance plus set up direct deposit or two pre-authorized debits every month to keep it fee-free after the first year.
Robo-Advisor (Investing) Promos
Digital investment managers offer opportunities to invest your money at a lower fee and without any of the hassles of self-directed investing.
Compared to the management expense ratios (MER) charged by the mutual funds sold by the big banks (average of 2.23% for equity funds), robo-advisor fees are significantly lower (~ 0.70% including fund MERs).
Wealthsimple is Canada’s largest online investment service with more than $5 billion in assets under management.
They give you free financial advice, automated rebalancing, dividend re-investing, spare change investing, low fees, VIP perks and more. You can also earn 2.40% in their high-interest savings account.
Readers of Savvy New Canadians can invest up to $10,000 FREE for 1 year (Special Offer). Visit Wealthsimple.com here.
- Wealthsimple Review: Smart Investing at a Low Fee
- Wealthsimple Cash: Earn 2.40% Interest
- Complete Guide to Robo-Advisors in Canada
Questrade is Canada’s largest online discount brokerage. If you prefer to buy and sell the stocks, ETFs, mutual funds, bonds, etc. that make up your portfolio yourself, Questrade is worth checking out.
They also offer a robo-advisor service, Questwealth Portfolios.
Readers of Savvy New Canadians get $50 in FREE trades when they open a Questrade account here.
Other robo-advisors with special promotional offers for my readers are:
- WealthBar: Invest up to $15,000 free for one year. Read the review here.
Bank Credit Card Promo Offers
Here are some of the ongoing credit cared offers we are currently digging:
Tangerine Bank Credit Card Promos
Scotiabank Credit Card Promos
1. Scotiabank Gold American Express Card: Get 20,000 bonus points ($200 value) until March 1, 2020. The annual fee is $120 and is waived in the first year. Check out my review of the card and why it’s one of the best travel rewards cards on the market.
2. Scotiabank Passport Visa Infinite Card: Get 35,000 bonus points ($350 value) until March 1, 2020. The annual fee is $139 and foreign transaction fees are waived. Read my Scotiabank Passport review.
PC Financial Credit Card Promos
TD Bank Credit Card Promos
1. TD First Class Travel Visa Infinite: Premium travel credit card. 30,000 bonus points ($150 value) and the annual fee of $120 is waived in the first year.
2. TD Cash Back Visa Infinite: 10% cash back on your first $2,000 spending ($200 value) and a $120 annual fee that is waived in the first year.
BMO Credit Card Promos
1. BMO World Elite Mastercard: Get 35,000 points (worth $250 in travel) until May 3, 2020. The $150 annual fee is waived in the first year.
2. BMO Cash Back World Elite Mastercard: Get 5% cash back in the first 3 months. Offer available until March 31, 2020. The $120 annual fee is waived in year one.