Welcome to the Savvy New Canadians resources page. This page will be updated regularly to bring you exciting and worthwhile resources, deals and freebies within the realm of personal finance in Canada. So be sure to check back regularly!
Free Credit Scores
You can now check your credit score free of charge in Canada. Sign up with Borrowell to access your free credit score and free monthly updates. They will also provide a copy of your credit report. Get your free credit score and report here.
For those in the U.S., you can obtain your free credit score from Credit Sesame here.
Cash-Back When Shopping
You can earn cash-back on your everyday purchases including groceries. Using all the FREE apps listed below, I earn anywhere from $50 to $100 automatically each month while making our usual purchases. Check out these cash-back apps/websites to help you save while you spend:
1. Drop: The Drop app rewards you automatically in cash for your everyday purchases. No effort is required on your part – simply sign up and start earning. Download Drop here (+$5 sign-up bonus). You can also read my Drop review here.
2. Ebates: Use Ebates when shopping at your favourite retailers (over 700 stores) to get discounts and real cash-back. Join Ebates Now and get a $5 welcome bonus. You can also read my Ebates review here.
3. Caddle: Caddle is a cash back program that helps Canadians save money while making everyday purchases. Users of the app also get paid to answer short surveys, watch ads, and write reviews. Sign up here to start saving today + $1 sign-up bonus! Read my Caddle review here.
4. Swagbucks: Earn real cash-back when you shop and also when you complete simple tasks such as taking surveys, watching videos, and more. Join Swagbucks and get a $5 welcome bonus. Check out my full review of Swagbucks here.
5. Checkout 51: Checkout 51 is a money-saving app/website that allows users to upload receipts from their grocery shopping and earn cash back on qualifying purchases. Sign up here to start saving! Read my review of Checkout 51 here.
6. Great Canadian Rebates: Use Great Canadian Rebates when shopping at your favourite retailers including Amazon, Hudson Bay, Ebay, Home Depot, Lowe’s, Staples, Nike, Expedia … for discounts and real cash-back.
Best Savings Accounts
It’s no secret that interest rates on savings accounts at the big banks are ridiculously low. There are much better alternatives:
1. Tangerine: Bank with Tangerine for competitive high-interest savings rates. Open an account using this link and fund it with at least $100 to receive a welcome bonus of $50. If you open a chequing account at the same time, you receive a $150 cash bonus.
2. EQ Bank: Check EQ Bank for some of the most competitive high-interest rates on savings and GICs available in Canada. Sign up for high-interest savings here! or Sign up for high-interest GICs! Here’s my full review of EQ Bank.
Get Paid To Pay Your Bills
Paytm Canada rewards you with a variety of gift cards and cash when you pay your bills (utilities, credit card balance, insurance, internet, cable, rent, tuition, property taxes, and more) using their app. Sign up for Paytm and get a $5 welcome bonus when you enter the promo code PTM2477287 during sign-up!
Invest & Build Wealth
Investing doesn’t have to be so hard or expensive. Digital wealth managers aka Robo-Advisors can help design your portfolio using low-cost index funds (ETF’s) that minimize your fees, boost your long-term returns, and are adequately diversified.
Wealthsimple: Wealthsimple is Canada’s premier robo-advisor. Open a Wealthsimple account today and get your first $10,000 managed free for one year. At Wealthsimple, they simplify your investing and offer the following:
- $10,000 invested free for one year
- Nobel-prize winning investing strategies
- Automatic re-balancing
- Customized portfolio
- Dividend re-investing
- Free financial advice, and more!
Open a Wealthsimple account here and start building your wealth.
Get Paid Doing Surveys
Completing online paid surveys is one way to earn passive income from the comfort of your home. All you need is your smartphone, tablet, or computer and you can easily start generating side income. Some of the paid survey sites I have made money from include:
1. Swagbucks: They have paid their members over $290 million and provide multiple ways for you to earn money, including completing surveys, watching videos, playing games, and shopping. Join Swagbucks here and you will receive a $5 welcome bonus.
4. Maru Voice Canada: They pay you between 50 cents and $5 per survey. Join Maru Voice here.
Best Mortgage Rates
You can save tens of thousands of dollars in mortgage payments when you use the right mortgage broker to get the best (lowest) rates. Check out IntelliMortgage to compare the best mortgage rates in your area.
I’m giving away two FREE eBooks titled: “A Simplified Guide on How To Buy A Home in Canada“ and “A Complete Guide To Retirement Income In Canada.“ These free guides are awesome! Simply subscribe or click on the links to get your FREE copy today!
I regularly write new personal finance posts filled with valuable information relating to money, savings, investing, frugal living, financial freedom, and much more. If you want to stay updated, you can sign up for my weekly newsletter using the sign-up form on the sidebar or below.
Custom Web Design
Do you like the look of this website or want one customized for your business needs or project? I can help you with that! For your affordable custom website design or redesign, you can contact me via the form here, or visit https://winnipegwebsolutions.com/