Welcome to the Savvy New Canadians resources page. This page will be updated regularly to bring you exciting and worthwhile resources, deals, and freebies within the realm of personal finance in Canada. So be sure to check back regularly!
Free Credit Scores
You can now check your credit score free of charge in Canada. Sign up with Borrowell to access your free credit score and free weekly updates. They will also provide a copy of your credit report. Get your free credit score and report here.
Earn Cash-Back When Shopping
You can earn cash-back on your everyday purchases including groceries. Using all the FREE apps listed below, I earn anywhere from $50 to $100 automatically each month while making our usual purchases. Check out these cash-back apps/websites to help you save while you spend:
1. KOHO: This cash back app and reloadable Visa card will pay you a 0.50% cash back on all your debit purchases. Trying to avoid using credit cards, KOHO rewards you anyway! Sign up here and receive an extra 1% cash back in your first 90 days when you use the promo code CASHBACK. Read this KOHO review for more details.
2. Drop: The Drop app rewards you automatically in cash for your everyday purchases. No effort is required on your part – simply sign up and start earning. Download Drop here (+$5 sign-up bonus). You can also read this Drop review.
3. Caddle: Caddle is a cash back program that helps Canadians save money while making everyday purchases. Sign up here + a $1 welcome bonus when you use the promo code ENOCH48192. Read this Caddle review for more information.
4. Rakuten: Use Rakuten when shopping at your favourite retailers (over 700 stores) to get discounts and real cash-back. Join Rakuten here to get a $5 welcome bonus. You can also check out this Rakuten review.
5. Swagbucks: Earn real cash-back when you shop and also when you complete simple tasks such as taking surveys, watching videos, and more. Join Swagbucks and get a $5 welcome bonus. Check out this review of Swagbucks.
6. Checkout 51: Checkout 51 is a money-saving app/website that allows users to upload receipts from their grocery shopping and earn cash back on qualifying purchases. Read this review of Checkout 51.
Best Savings Accounts
It’s no secret that interest rates on savings accounts at the big banks are ridiculously low. There are much better alternatives:
2. Moka: This app will automatically round up your purchases and invest your spare change so you can increase your net worth hassle-free. Download Moka and get $5 free. Read this Moka review for more details.
Invest and Build Wealth
Investing doesn’t have to be so hard or expensive. Digital wealth managers aka Robo-Advisors can help design your portfolio using low-cost index funds (ETF’s) that minimize your fees, boost your long-term returns, and are adequately diversified.
Wealthsimple: Wealthsimple is Canada’s premier robo-advisor. Open a Wealthsimple account today and get a $50 cash bonus when you fund your account with at least $500. At Wealthsimple, they simplify your investing and offer the following:
- Nobel-prize winning investing strategies
- Automatic re-balancing
- Customized portfolio
- Dividend re-investing
- Free financial advice, and more!
Wealthsimple Trade: Wealthsimple Trade is Canada’s only no-commission trading platform and you can buy thousands of stocks and ETFs for free using your self-directed brokerage account. Open a Wealthsimple Trade account and get a $10 cash bonus.
Questrade: Questrade is the largest independent brokerage platform in Canada. You can use it to trade stocks, ETFs, options, foreign exchange, mutual funds, GICs, IPOs, and more at competitive rates. New clients get $50 in free trades when they open an account and fund it with at least $1,000. Read our Questrade review.
Best Mortgage Rates
You can save tens of thousands of dollars in mortgage payments when you use the right mortgage broker to get the best (lowest) rates. Check out IntelliMortgage to compare the best mortgage rates in your area.
I’m giving away two FREE eBooks titled: “A Simplified Guide on How To Buy A Home in Canada“ and “A Complete Guide To Retirement Income In Canada.“ These free guides are awesome! Simply subscribe or click on the links to get your FREE copy today!
I regularly write new personal finance posts filled with valuable information relating to money, savings, investing, frugal living, financial freedom, and much more. If you want to stay updated, you can sign up for my weekly newsletter using the sign-up form on the sidebar or below.