Looking to buy Solana in Canada? Below, I cover how and where to buy Solana without hassle.
Solana (SOL) aka “Ethereum killer” is one of the most popular cryptocurrencies in the world right now.
The Solana coin has seen a whopping 12,000% increase in its price this year, easily surpassing many of its competitors, and is now the fifth-ranked cryptocurrency.
Read on to learn about how to buy Solana on exchanges like Newton, Wealthsimple, Binance, Coinbase, and others.
What is Solana?
Solana is a blockchain network that facilitates the creation of other decentralized apps (DApps).
It is a lot faster than Ethereum and Bitcoin and transactions on the Solana protocol are much cheaper.
For instance, while Bitcoin can manage up to 7 transactions per second and Ethereum about twice that, the Solana network can be scaled to process up to 50,000 transactions per second.
This scalability translates to lower gas fees and a big win for early Solana investors.
SOL is the native token of the Solana protocol which uses both proof of stake (PoS) and proof of history (PoH) consensus methods.
Here’s a guide on how Solana works.
How To Buy Solana (SOL) in Canada
If you would like to invest in Solana, the first step is to open an account at a Solana exchange in Canada.
There are several cryptocurrency exchanges that offer SOL directly.
Alternatively, you could also purchase BTC, ETH, or a stablecoin like Tether (USDT) on exchange and swap it for SOL on another platform that offers it.
After purchasing SOL, consider moving your holdings offline to a hardware wallet for safekeeping.
Where to Buy Solana in Canada
The best places to buy Solana are covered below.
1. Buy Solana on Newton
Newton is one of the top places to buy your Solana tokens in Canada.
Founded in 2018, the Newton Crypto Exchange has grown significantly and now supports 57 crypto coins and tokens including Solana.
- Coins: SOL, BTC, XRP, LUNA, MATIC, MKR, BAT, ENJ, and 40 others
- Funding: Interac e-Transfers, wire transfers, crypto deposits
- Fees: 0.50% to 0.70%; free deposits and withdrawals.
- Promotion: Get a $25 bonus after trading $100 worth of crypto
2. Buy Solana on Wealthsimple
Wealthsimple offers a regulated crypto trading platform to Canadians via Wealthsimple Crypto.
This beginner-friendly crypto broker supports Solana and several other popular cryptocurrencies.
It recently introduced its own software wallets.
- Coins: SOL, ADA, COMP, BTC, ETH, and 29 others
- Funding: Electronic funds transfer and crypto deposits
- Fees: Up to 2% operations fee per transaction
- Promotion: Get a $50 bonus when you trade $150 worth of crypto in your new account
3. Buy Solana on NDAX
NDAX is one of the best crypto platforms in Canada. It supports 28 coins including Solana, BTC, ETH, USDT, SHIB, and several others.
- Funding: Interac e-Transfer, bank wire, and crypto deposits
- Fees: 0.20% trading fees
- Promotion: Get a $10 bonus when you deposit $100
Get more details in this review of NDAX.
4. Buy Solana on Binance
Binance is the world’s largest cryptocurrency exchange platform.
It offers Solana trading and access to more than 300 coins and altcoins, including many crypto-crypto pairs.
You can also use the platform to earn staking rewards.
- Coins: SOL, BTC, ETH, and 300 others
- Funding: Bank transfer, credit card, debit card, crypto deposits
- Fees: Up to 0.10% and varies with your account level
- Promotion: Save up to 25% on trading commissions
Note that Binance is not available to Ontario residents.
5. Buy Solana on Crypto.com
Crypto.com operates in Canada and several other countries.
You can use the platform to buy Solana and 150 other crypto assets using your fiat currency of choice.
Crypto.com also has a crypto prepaid card for connecting your crypto to everyday transactional utility.
- Coins: 150 + coins including Solana
- Funding: Bank transfer, credit card, debit card, and crypto deposits
- Fees: Up to 0.40% and varies with account tier
- Promotion: Get a $25 bonus when you stake CRO for a Crypto.com Visa
6. Buy Solana on Coinbase
Coinbase is a publicly-traded cryptocurrency exchange and one of the easiest places to buy Solana in Canada and the United States.
If you are also thinking about investing in crypto stocks, you can buy this company (COIN) on the Nasdaq exchange.
- Coins: SOL, SHIB, BTC, ETH, ADA, and several others
- Funding: Crypto deposits, debit card, and wire transfer
- Fees: 0.50% trading fee; withdrawal and deposit fees may apply.
- Promotion: Get a $10 USD bonus when you trade $100 USD+ worth of crypto
Learn more in this Coinbase review.
7. Buy Solana on Kraken
Kraken is one of the oldest crypto exchanges in the world. You can use it to trade 99 coins, including SOL.
- Coins: BNC, KAR, OXY, GHST, SDN, BAL, SOL, and several others
- Funding: Wire transfer, Etana custody, crypto deposits
- Fees: Up to 0.26% trading fee on Kraken Pro; Up to 1.50% for Instant Buy; deposit/withdrawal fees vary
Other Ways To Buy Solana
If you are looking at buying a SOL-crypto pair, you could purchase BTC, ETH, USDC, or USDT on one platform and exchange this for SOL on another platform where it is available.
One other top platform that offers these assets is:
How To Sell Solana in Canada
To sell your Solana coins, visit your crypto exchange account and place a sell order.
If your SOL is being held in a non-custodial wallet, you will first need to transfer it to your wallet on the exchange you plan to use.
Some hardware wallets also offer direct access to trading your coins without leaving the wallet.
How To Store Solana
Looking for where to store your SOL tokens? You can use mobile app wallets like Exodus, Trust Wallet, and Zelcore.
For greater security of your digital assets, cold hardware wallets are recommended.
The top hardware wallet to store Solana (SOL) is Ledger Nano X.
You may also be able to stake your SOL and earn interest while keeping it secured.
Is Solana a Good Investment?
Unlike many of the memecoins out there, Solana has several use cases and is seen by many as a great alternative to Ethereum.
Based on its recent performance, if you had put $100 into Solana one year ago, you’d have approximately $12,000 now.
That said, cryptocurrencies remain speculative assets and you could lose your entire capital.
So, is Solana a good investment? It has been so far, but no one knows the future.
Below are its key members as of this writing:
- Solana price: $240 USD
- Market capitalization: $72 billion
- Ranking: #5
- Circulating supply: 303 million
- Total supply: 508 million
Solana Canada FAQs
Bitbuy and Coinberry do not currently offer Solana. You can use them to buy Bitcoin and swap BTC for SOL on a different exchange.
Binance and Coinbase are not based in Canada, however, both platforms are available to Canadian residents and can be used to buy Solana. Note that Binance is not available in Ontario.
Solana offers much faster transaction speeds than Ethereum and lower gas prices. Many crypto-enthusiasts think Solana will overtake Ethereum and have called it the “Ethereum killer”.
Disclaimer: Cryptocurrency is a volatile and speculative investment. If you decide to invest, we recommend you do your own research and only commit funds you can afford to lose. The author may own one or more of the crypto assets mentioned in this article.