Scotiabank’s SCENE Visa card is one of a kind in Canada – it is the only credit card that allows you to earn SCENE points that can be redeemed for free movies at Cineplex Entertainment theatres. If you love going to the movies, this may be the card for you.
In addition to earning SCENE points that you can redeem for movies, you can also redeem your rewards for food and drink at Cineplex theatres or at restaurants, including, Harvey’s, Swiss Chalet, East Side Mario’s, Kelsey’s and Montana’s. The SCENE Visa Card does not have an annual fee.
Scotiabank SCENE Visa Credit Card Ratings Summary
Rating is based on $0 annual fees, card features and benefits, low eligibility requirements, and points redemption value.
Get started with 2,000 bonus points on your first $500 spend in the first 3 months, plus $55 in cash back when you apply for the card through the Great Canadian Rebates offer link below.
Scotiabank SCENE Visa Card – Features and Benefits
1. No Annual Fee: There is no annual fee for using this card, either as the primary cardholder or as a supplementary user.
2. Earn SCENE Rewards: Users of Scotiabank’s SCENE Visa card (link to GCR’s promo offer) earn rewards under the SCENE program which is the loyalty program for Cineplex theatres. You earn:
- 1 SCENE point for every $1 you spend on everyday purchases
- 5 SCENE points for every $1 spend at Cineplex theatres or online at Cineplex.com
- 2,000 bonus points on your first $500 spend in the first 3 months of opening your account. This is equivalent to two free general admission movie tickets
Your accumulated SCENE points can be redeemed for movies and concessions at Cineplex theatres, or food at Recipe Unlimited Corporation owned restaurants. More on the SCENE rewards program later in this review.
3. Save on Car Rentals: As a SCENE Visa cardholder, you can save up to 25% on car rentals at participating AVIS and Budget locations in Canada and the U.S.
4. Optional Features: As a cardholder, you can apply for additional protection/insurance against disability, critical illness, or loss of life for a monthly fee. This feature is entirely optional.
What is the SCENE Points Rewards Program?
SCENE is the loyalty rewards program for Cineplex and is offered in partnership with Scotiabank. When you own a SCENE Visa card, you earn points whenever you watch a movie at Cineplex theatres, buy concessions, or dine at Recipe Unlimited Corporation-owned restaurants including Harvey’s, Swiss Chalet, Milestones, Kelsey’s, East Side Mario’s, and Montana’s. In addition, you will also earn points for your everyday purchases.
You do not need to be a SCENE Visa cardholder in order to earn SCENE points. If all you do is to simply enroll for loyalty’s program general membership, your options for earning points are limited to:
- General admission ticket: 100 points
- Premium movie ticket: 150 points
- VIP Cinema movie ticket: 200 points
- For every $1 spend on food and drinks: 10 points
- For every $3 you spend at participating restaurants: 1 point
- Scenetourage: 50 points
- Each $100 spend on Fanxchange purchases: 1,000 points
- Download the Carrot rewards app: 65 points
- Get a SCENE Debit Card: 10,000 points
The rewards points you earn when you have the SCENE Visa card are in addition to the general rewards listed above. Therefore, SCENE members who have the SCENE Visa Card get to accumulate rewards points faster.
For more tips on how to earn SCENE points quickly, check out my article on 9 Ways To Maximize Your SCENE Points and Watch Free Movies.
How To Redeem Your SCENE Points
SCENE points can be easily redeemed for movie tickets and food. Some of the more popular redemption options and rates are:
- General admission movie ticket: 1,000 points
- Premium movie ticket: 1,500 points
- VIP Cinemas movie ticket: 2,000 points
- General night out package: 2,500 points
- Premium night out package: 3,000 points
- VIP night out package: 4,500 points
- Digital movie download: 1,000 points = $10 off
- $5 off food and drink at the movies: 500 points
- Free concession combo: 1,000 points
- Food at participating restaurants: 1,000 points = $10 off
In general, 1,000 SCENE points is equivalent to $10, so 1 point is worth around 1 cent. Depending on the cost of the movie ticket you are buying for each category (general, premium, VIP), your rewards rate will vary from approx. 0.90% to 1.60% or so on your general spending. Rewards rate on your Cineplex-related spending are a multiple of x5.
Is the SCENE Visa Card For You?
The SCENE Visa card has a couple of things going for it, including no annual fees, a low salary per year ($12,000) and no credit history requirement. These options make it attractive to students and new Canadian immigrants who are just starting out. Frequent movie-goers may also find the credit card attractive, as its rewards payout rate is as high as 6% when you consider movie-related spending. The initial 2,000 points bonus is equivalent to two free general admission movie tickets.
There are some downsides to the card. First, there are limited options to redeem rewards outside of the movies or eating out at select restaurants. Secondly, this credit card does not come with free insurance, such as extended warranty or travel insurance. These are common perks associated with a majority of credit cards these days. Lastly, there is a maximum limit on the points you can earn, at a maximum of 300 points per transaction and 600 points daily.
If you are not into this card because of the SCENE points, an alternative no-annual fee card is the 2% Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card that offers 2% unlimited cash back on up to 3 categories of spending.
Scotiabank also offers other cards in their suite of SCENE points rewards payment cards. The other two are the Scotiabank SCENE Debit Card and Scotiabank SCENE Prepaid Reloadable Visa Card.
***For a limited time, when you apply for the SCENE Visa Card through the Great Canadian Rebates website (through this link), you can qualify for a $55 cash rebate.
Scotiabank SCENE Visa Credit Card
- Annual Fee
- Features and Benefits
- Redemption Value
Scotiabank’s SCENE Visa card is unique – it is the only credit card in Canada that allows you to earn SCENE points that can be redeemed for free movies at the Cineplex chain of theatres. If you love going to the movies, you should check out this card.