Scotiabank’s SCENE Visa card is one of a kind in Canada – it is the only credit card that allows you to earn SCENE points that can be redeemed for free movies at Cineplex Entertainment theatres. If you love going to the movies, this may be the card for you.
In addition to earning SCENE points that you can redeem for movies, you can also redeem your rewards for food and drink at Cineplex theatres or at restaurants, including, Harvey’s, Swiss Chalet, East Side Mario’s, Kelsey’s, and Montana’s.
The SCENE Visa Card does not have an annual fee.
This review of the Scotiabank SCENE card shows where it shines and why it is great as a starter credit card for students, new immigrants, and moviegoers.
Scotiabank SCENE Visa Card Benefits
1. No Annual Fee: There is no annual fee for using this card, either as the primary cardholder or as a supplementary user.
2. Earn SCENE Rewards: Users of Scotiabank’s SCENE Visa card earn rewards under the SCENE program which is the loyalty program for Cineplex theatres. You earn:
- 1 SCENE point for every $1 you spend on everyday purchases
- 5 SCENE points for every $1 spend at Cineplex theatres or online at Cineplex.com
- 2,500 bonus points on your first $500 spend in the first 3 months of opening your account. This is equivalent to two free general admission or 3D movie tickets.
Your accumulated SCENE points can be redeemed for movies and concessions at Cineplex theatres, or food at Recipe Unlimited Corporation owned restaurants. More on the SCENE rewards program later in this review.
3. Save on Car Rentals: As a SCENE Visa cardholder, you can save up to 25% on car rentals at participating AVIS and Budget locations in Canada and the U.S.
4. Optional Features: As a cardholder, you can apply for additional protection/insurance against disability, critical illness, or loss of life for a monthly fee. This feature is entirely optional.
What is the SCENE Points Rewards Program?
SCENE is the loyalty rewards program for Cineplex and is offered in partnership with Scotiabank.
When you own a SCENE Visa card, you earn points whenever you watch a movie at Cineplex theatres, buy concessions, or dine at Recipe Unlimited Corporation-owned restaurants including Harvey’s, Swiss Chalet, Milestones, Kelsey’s, East Side Mario’s, and Montana’s.
In addition, you will also earn points for your everyday purchases.
You do not need to be a SCENE Visa cardholder in order to earn SCENE points. If all you do is to simply enroll for loyalty’s program general membership, your options for earning points are limited to:
- General admission ticket: 125 points
- 3D movie ticket: 125 points
- Adult enhanced (premium) movie ticket: 200 points
- Child general admission or 3D movie ticket: 65 points
- VIP Cinema movie ticket: 250 points
- For every $1 spent on food and drinks: 5 points
- For every $3 you spend at participating restaurants: 1 point
- Scenetourage: 50 points
- Each $125 spend on Fanxchange purchases: 1,250 points
- Download the Carrot rewards app: 65 points
The rewards points you earn when you have the SCENE Visa card are in addition to the general rewards listed above. Therefore, SCENE members who have the SCENE Visa Card get to accumulate rewards points faster.
For more tips on how to earn SCENE points quickly, check out my article on 9 Ways To Maximize Your SCENE Points and Watch Free Movies.
How To Redeem Your SCENE Points
SCENE points can be easily redeemed for movie tickets and food. Some of the more popular redemption options and rates are:
- General admission and 3D movie ticket: 1,250 points
- Enhanced adult movie ticket: 2,000 points
- VIP Cinemas movie ticket: 2,500 points
- General night out package: 3,500 points
- Enhanced night out package: 5,000 points
- VIP night out package: 6,000 points
- Digital movie download: 1,000 points = $10 off
- $5 off food and drink at the movies: 500 points
- Food at participating restaurants: 1,000 points = $10 off
In general, 1,000 SCENE points is equivalent to $10 for food, so 1 point is worth around 1 cent. Depending on the cost of the movie ticket you are buying for each category (general, adult enhanced, VIP), your rewards rate will vary from approx. 0.80% to 1.27% or so.
The rewards rate on your Cineplex-related spending is a multiple of x5.
Is the SCENE Visa Card For You?
The SCENE Visa card has a couple of things going for it, including no annual fees, a low salary per year ($12,000), and no credit history requirement. These options make it attractive to students and new immigrants to Canada who are just starting out.
Frequent movie-goers may also find the credit card attractive, as its rewards payout rate is as high as 5% when you consider movie-related spending. The initial 2,500 points bonus is equivalent to two free general admission or 3D movie tickets.
There are some downsides to the card. First, there are limited options to redeem rewards outside of the movies or eating out at select restaurants.
Secondly, this credit card does not come with free insurance, such as an extended warranty or travel insurance. These are common perks associated with a majority of credit cards these days.
Finally, there is a maximum limit on the points you can earn, at a maximum of 300 points per transaction and 600 points daily. And, you should take note of the 19.99% purchase and 22.99% cash advance interest rates.
If you are not into this card because of the SCENE points, an alternative no-annual-fee card is the 2% Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card that offers 2% unlimited cash back on up to 3 categories of spending.
Scotiabank also offers other cards in their suite of SCENE points rewards payment cards. The other two are the Scotiabank SCENE Debit Card and Scotiabank SCENE Prepaid Reloadable Visa Card.