Wealthsimple Trade now offers fractional shares, allowing investors to buy less than a full share of their favourite stocks.
With as little as $1, you can now get a slice of great companies in Canada and the United States like Shopify, RBC, Amazon, Tesla, Microsoft, and Apple.
This feature makes it a lot easier for everyday retail investors to hold diversified stock portfolios and benefit from the growth of exceptional companies.
Not only that, but they can do so for free using Wealthsimple’s commission-free trading platform.
Read on to learn about how to trade fractional shares in Canada.
What is Wealthsimple Trade?
Wealthsimple Trade is Canada’s only trading platform to offer the ability to buy and sell thousands of stocks and ETFs for free.
You can hold your investments in a personal non-registered investment account or use a TFSA or RRSP.
As a member of the Canadian Investor Protection Fund (CIPF) via Canadian ShareOwner Investments Inc., your account is protected against insolvency by up to $1 million.
In the last few months, Wealthsimple has been busy rolling out new features on its Trade app including:
- Support for fractional shares
- Wealthsimple Premium subscription with access to real-time market data and instant deposits up to $1,000
- Free stock bonuses worth up to $4,500 CAD
What Are Fractional Shares?
Fractional shares refer to the purchase and ownership of part of one share of a company stock, instead of buying the whole share.
For example, one share of Google (Alphabet Inc – GOOGL) sold for $2,533 USD as of this writing.
Traditionally, if you were to buy the stock, you’d need at least $2,533 USD to become a shareholder.
However, with fractional share trading, you can own a little piece or “fraction” of one share of a stock starting at $1.
Fractional shareholders enjoy the same shareholder benefits as everyone else and receive dividends based on the proportion of shares they own. You can also sell your shares.
In addition to deliberately buying a fractional share through a trading platform, you can also get fractional shares through stock splits and dividend reinvestment plans (DRIPs).
How To Buy Fractional Shares on Wealthsimple Trade
Wealthsimple Trade is the only trading platform in Canada that supports fractional shares of Canadian and U.S. companies.
Previously, you could buy fractional shares through Canadian ShareOwner Investments Inc., however, that company is now a wholly-owned subsidiary of Wealthsimple.
Here are the steps to buying fractional stocks on Wealthsimple Trade:
1. Create an account for free (link includes a $50 bonus). It takes a few minutes to onboard and you can deposit up to $250 instantly (or $1,000 with Wealthsimple Premium). Funding deposits over $250 are deposited and available to use within 3 business days.
2. You can place a trade using the mobile app or desktop interface (web). Search for the stock you are interested in. I will use Shopify (SHOP) as an example (currently selling at $1,810.97).
3. Choose your preferred order type, either a market buy, fractional buy, limit buy, or stop-limit buy. In this case, we want to place a “fractional buy”.
If this is your first fractional buy, you will see a prompt explaining what it means.
4. Enter the amount you want to buy. In this example, I only want to buy $45 CAD worth of Shopify.
5. Confirm your order. You can see how many shares of Shopify you are buying. In this case, I am buying 0.0248 shares of the SHOP stock (Shopify) or approximately 1/40th of one stock.
You can also sell a fractional share by entering the number of shares you want to sell. Fractional Share orders are fulfilled once a day.
List of Fractional Shares on Wealthsimple Trade
The stocks available for fractional trading on Wealthsimple Trade as of this writing are:
|Canadian Stocks (CAD)||U.S. Stocks (USD)|
|Shopify (SHOP)||Apple (AAPL)|
|Royal Bank of Canada (RY)||Amazon (AMZN)|
|Toronto Dominican Bank (TD)||Google (GOOGL)|
|Canadian National Railway Co. (CNR)||Microsoft (MSFT)|
Thousands of other stocks (and ETFs) are also supported for regular trading; however, they are not yet listed for fractional shares.
Start Trading with a $50 Bonus
When you open a new Wealthsimple Trade account using our exclusive link, you get a $50 welcome bonus.
To be eligible for this bonus, you must deposit and trade at least $100.
Wealthsimple Trade Fractional Shares FAQs
The Wealthsimple Trade brokerage platform currently offers fractional shares for 14 different stocks in Canada and the U.S. You can buy half a share or other fractions of your choice starting at $1.
Questrade does not currently offer fractional shares. If you want to trade fractional shares in Canada, the only option right now is Wealthsimple Trade.
Fractional shares make it easy for investors to hold shares in the stock of big and expensive companies. It can also help them to diversify their stock portfolio.