Walmart shoppers in Canada earn rewards when they shop online or in the store using the store’s branded credit card.
The Walmart Rewards Credit card is a no-fee card offered by the retail giant, and you can use it to earn Walmart Reward Dollars plus a welcome bonus when you first sign up.
This card review outlines its benefits, downsides, and alternative cash back credit cards.
Walmart Rewards Mastercard Benefits
Walmart Rewards Mastercard – At a Glance
Rewards: Earn 1.25% cash back at Walmart and 1% cash back everywhere else.
Interest rates: 19.89% for purchases and 21.49% for cash advances.
Annual fee: $0
Min. income required: N/A
1. No Annual Fee: If you are looking for a no-frills cash back credit card and do most of your shopping at Walmart, this card is worth looking at.
It does not have an annual fee, so you won’t have to worry about paying a fee for simply having the card in your wallet.
2. Cash Back Rewards: The Walmart Rewards Mastercard offers a 1.25% cash back rate when you purchase at a Walmart store or online at Walmart.ca.
When you use your card to pay for purchases outside of Walmart, you earn cash back at a 1% rate.
The cash back rewards offered by this card are not shabby; however, you could enjoy better all-around rewards with this list of Walmart Credit Card alternatives.
3. $25 Welcome Bonus: New cardholders can get up to $25 in Walmart Reward Dollars as follows:
- Get $15 when you make two qualifying purchases with your card within 30 days (one purchase at Walmart and the second elsewhere)
- Get $10 when you sign up for electronic statements
You can redeem your Walmart Reward Dollars to pay for purchases at Walmart (in-store or online) starting at a minimum of $5.
Walmart Rewards Mastercard Downsides
This Walmart Mastercard does not offer access to free insurance coverage or benefits.
Also, you can only redeem cash back rewards by purchasing at Walmart. There is no option to use it to pay off your statement balance.
Walmart Rewards Mastercard Alternatives
Credit cards that pay a higher cash back rate on grocery purchases include:
1. Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card
Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card
Rewards: Earn up to 2% unlimited cash back in up to 3 spending categories and 0.50% on all other purchases.
Welcome offer: Get an extra 10% cash back on up to $1,000 in spending in the first 2 months ($100 value); 1.95% balance transfer rate for 6 months.
Interest rates: 19.95% for purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances.
Annual fee: $0
The Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card offers up to 2% unlimited cash back on spending in up to three categories, including groceries, restaurants, gas, recurring bills, entertainment, drugstore, and more.
- Cash back required: Up to 2%
- Minimum income required: $12,000
- Extra perks: Free purchase protection and extended warranty coverage
This card is easy to qualify for and only requires a minimum personal income of $12,000 per year. A third 2% cash back category is offered when you open a Tangerine Savings Account to deposit your cash back rewards.
2. SimplyCash Card from American Express
SimplyCash Card from American Express
Rewards and benefits: Earn up to 2% cash back on gas and groceries; 1.25% cash back on all other purchases; travel accident insurance.
Welcome offer: Earn a $10 statement credit each month you spend $300 in purchases on your Card in the first 10 months (up to $100 value).
Interest rates: 20.99% on purchases and 21.99% on cash advances.
Annual fee: $0
The SimplyCash Card from AMEX gives you a flat 1.25% cash back on all purchases. This means you enjoy an additional 0.25% compared to the Walmart Rewards Mastercard when you shop outside of Walmart.
- Cash back rewards: 1.25%
- Minimum income required: N/A
- Extra perks: Travel accident insurance, purchase protection, and extended warranty coverage
Walmart Rewards Mastercard Review
The Walmart Rewards Mastercard offers up to 1.25% cash back rewards when you shop at Walmart. This review covers its benefits, downsides and alternative credit cards.
- $25 welcome bonus
- Up to 1.25% cash back
- No annual fees
- Can only redeem for Walmart purchases
- Offers no insurance