If you shop at Canadian Tire and love collecting Canadian Tire Money (CT Money), you should consider getting one of their popular credit cards.
The Triangle Mastercard and its premium counterpart, the Triangle World Elite Mastercard, amplify the CT Money you earn when you shop online and in-store at Canadian Tire store locations.
These cards also allow you to save money when you purchase gas at Canadian Tire-affiliated gas stations including Gas+ and participating Husky locations.
This Triangle Mastercard review covers its features, top benefits, and downsides.
Triangle Mastercard – At a Glance
- $0 annual fee
- 4% in CT Money at Canadian Tire stores
- Collect 5 cents per litre at Gas+ and Husky stations
- Purchase APR: 19.99%; Cash Advances: 22.99%
Triangle Mastercard Rewards and Benefits
Cardholders can use the Triangle Mastercard to earn rewards under Canadian Tire’s Triangle Rewards program.
1. You get 4% in Canadian Tire Money when you shop at Canadian Tire, Sport Chek, Mark’s/L’Equipeur, Atmosphere, Sports Rousseau, Hockey Experts, and others
You can redeem the CT Money online or at any of these store locations and use it to pay for all or a portion of the cost of your purchases.
2. When you purchase gas at Gas+ and participating Husky gas stations, you collect 5 cents per litre.
3. Using the Triangle Mastercard, you can finance your purchases at a 0% interest rate through the Canadian Tire Bank. Eligible purchases must be at least $150 and can be financed so you make 24 equal monthly payments without paying a fee.
4. Cardholders enjoy no-receipt returns when they pay for purchases at Canadian Tire stores using their Triangle Mastercard.
5. You receive access to member-only events as well as personalized offers. To maximize your earning power, you should download the Triangle App so you can easily view the weekly exclusive offers.
6. It is easy to qualify for this card and you do not need to meet a high-income requirement, unlike the Triangle World Elite Mastercard.
Downsides of the Triangle Mastercard
The Triangle Mastercard is a base reward card with no insurance coverage. Also, you only earn CT Money on purchases at Canadian Tire and other affiliated stores.
Triangle Mastercard vs. Triangle World Elite Mastercard
The Triangle World Elite Mastercard is a no-fee card that offers a lot more benefits than the plain-vanilla alternative, the Triangle Mastercard.
The Triangle World Elite card has the following benefits:
- 4% CT Money at Canadian Tire and affiliated stores
- 3% CT Money on grocery purchases (on the first $12,000 in annual spend and excluding Walmart and Costco)
- Offers up to 7 cents per litre when you purchase gas at Gas+ and Husky stations
- Purchase security and extended warranty
- Car rental insurance
- 24/7 concierge service
- Free Gold Plan roadside assistance
While it offers a lot more in benefits, you need a personal income of at least $80,000 to qualify. Learn more in this Triangle World Elite Mastercard review.
Is the Triangle Mastercard Worth It?
If you find it challenging to qualify for the Triangle World Elite because of its high income requirements, the Triangle Mastercard is worth looking at.
That said, there are other credit card options that offer better rewards and flexibility and that have no annual fees.
A top contender is the Tangerine Money-Back credit card which has $0 annual fees and offers unlimited 2% cash back on up to three categories of spending.
To qualify for this card, you need to have at least $12,000 in income per year. Get more details in this Tangerine credit card review.