Shakepay and Coinberry are among the best crypto trading platforms in Canada for beginners.
Both platforms offer commission-free trading and beginner-friendly web interfaces and mobile crypto trading apps to allow crypto newbies to buy and sell digital assets with a single click.
So, which one should you choose?
This Shakepay vs Coinberry comparison walks you through their top features, pros & cons, supported cryptocurrencies, trading fees, and more so you can choose the one that fits your needs.
What is Shakepay?
Based in Montreal, Shakepay is one of the best crypto brokerage platforms in Canada. It was founded in 2015.
It’s fully registered and licensed by FINTRAC and Revenu Quebec to offer crypto services throughout Canada.
This crypto broker makes crypto trading easy and cost-effective by offering a simple, easy-to-use interface to allow Canadians to trade Bitcoin and Ethereum commission-free and with no extra deposit/withdrawal fees.
Since its launch, over 900,000 Canadians have traded more than $6B+ in digital assets on the platform.
Shakepay offers instant account verification, and it only takes about 10 minutes to create a Shakepay account and start trading.
If you sign up and trade $100+ worth of crypto, you get a $30 sign up bonus.
Trade Bitcoin & Ethereum fast
Works for new & advanced traders
1-3% trading fee, free withdrawals
Get a $30 bonus when you trade $100
Shakepay Top Features
- An easy-to-use platform to trade Bitcoin and Ethereum with a single click.
- Commission-free trading, with no extra deposit/withdrawal fees.
- Instant account verification to get your account set up in under 10 minutes.
- Fund your Shakepay wallet via Interac e-Transfer, bank wire transfer, or BTC/ETH deposits
- Shakepay app to trade and monitor your wallet on the go.
- Shakepay Visa Card to spend your crypto balance hassle-free and earn 1% in Bitcoin cashback on purchases.
- Top security via cold storage of digital assets backed by Shakepay insurance policy.
- A safe platform that’s licensed by FINTRAC to operate in Canada.
Shakepay Pros and Cons
Pros: An easy-to-use, commission-free trading platform, hence great for beginners.
Cons: Shakepay only supports Bitcoin and Ethereum and doesn’t offer advanced crypto trading features and charting tools, which is a turnoff for experienced traders.
Though you won’t pay extra fees, you’ll incur an in-build Shakepay spread of 1%-3% applied to the bid-ask price.
What is Coinberry?
Coinberry is one of the best crypto exchanges in Canada, founded in 2017 and is a FINTRAC & OSC-registered MSB that’s fully PIPEDA compliant.
The platform offers a trusted, easy-to-use web and mobile interface to allow Canadians to trade about 29 cryptocurrencies commission-free. It doesn’t charge extra fees for fiat deposits/withdrawals or crypto deposits.
Coinberry offers instant account verification, and once you fill out your details, it only takes about 1 minute to have your account set up and start trading.
Coinberry Top features
- Trade up to 29 cryptocurrencies
- Offers commission-free trading with no extra CAD deposit/withdrawal fees (price spread applies – up to 2.50%)
- Simple, easy-to-use web and mobile interface for beginners to buy crypto with a single click
- Coinberry iOS and Android app to trade on the go
- Multiple ways to fund your Coinberry wallet and purchase crypto, including Interac e-Transfer, bank wire, and crypto deposits.
- Easily send and receive crypto payments/donations via Coinberry Pay
- A crypto learning portal to hone your knowledge of digital assets.
- A fully registered MSB trusted by Canadian municipalities to facilitate tax payment with crypto in some towns.
Coinberry Pros and Cons
Pros: Coinberry supports a wider selection of cryptocurrencies and offers an easy-to-use interface for newbies to trade with a single click.
Cons: It doesn’t offer advanced trading features and charting tools for seasoned traders. And, Coinberry price spread fees may run up to 2%.
Shakepay vs Coinberry: Supported cryptocurrencies
Coinberry supports more crypto coins than Shakepay, which is great for beginners looking for a wider selection of digital assets.
Shakepay supports only Bitcoin and Ethereum. Coinberry supports up to 29 cryptocurrencies.
Below is the Coinberry crypto list:
|Bitcoin||Curve Dao||Enjin Coin|
|Ethereum||Basic Attention Token||Fantom|
|Compound||Aave Token||The Graph|
Shakepay vs Coinberry: Trading Fees
Both Shakepay and Coinberry offer commission-free trading and don’t charge any extra deposit/withdrawal fees for fiat and crypto deposits.
Instead, the two platforms apply an in-built spread fee between the bid-ask price when you trade crypto on the platforms.
Shakepay spread ranges between 1% to 3% at any given time. Though the spread fee is somehow high, it may be worth it as you won’t pay any extra deposit/withdrawal fees for fiat and crypto.
Coinberry spread fee ranges from 0% to 2.5%. There are no Coinberry deposit/withdrawal fees for fiat. Crypto deposits are free, but there’s a Coinberry crypto withdrawal fee that varies by Coin.
Shakepay vs Coinberry: Best for
Thus, they are great for Canadians looking to buy crypto easily and quickly with a single click.
Both platforms don’t support advanced trading features, charting tools, or crypto services, and experienced traders may have to look into alternatives like Binance, NDAX, Coinbase, KuCoin, and others.
Shakepay vs Coinberry: Breakdown
|Supported Coins||Only BTC and ETH||Up to 29, including BTC, ETH, ADA, MANA, SAND, UNI, DOGE, DOT, and more.|
|Trading fees||In-built Shakepay spread fee of 1%-3%||In-built Coinberry spread fee of 0%-2.5%|
|Funding options||Interac e-Transfer, Bank Wire, BTC/ETH deposits||Interac e-Transfer, Bank wire, debit/credit card purchases, crypto deposits|
|Deposit/withdrawal fees||$0||$0 for fiat/ crypto deposits. Crypto withdrawal fees vary by coin|
|Security||2FA, Cold storage, insurance||2FA, cold storage, insurance|
|Instant account verification||Yes||Yes|
|Sign up bonus||Trade at least $100 to get a $30 cash bonus||Trade at least $50 to get a $30 cash bonus|
- How And Where To Buy Avalanche In Canada
- Best Binance Alternatives In Canada
- Best Ethereum Wallets
- CoinSmart vs Bitbuy
- CoinSmart vs Wealthsimple Crypto
- Best Kraken Alternatives
Disclaimer: Cryptocurrency is a volatile and speculative investment. If you decide to invest, we recommend you do your own research and only commit funds you can afford to lose. The author may own one or more of the crypto assets mentioned in this article.