The Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite card is one of the best cash back cards available in Canada. With a base offer of 4% cash back on grocery purchases and recurring bill payments, and 2% cash back on your gas and daily transit spending, this card beats most of its close competitors on overall value.
Additionally, they are waiving the first year $120 annual fee, effectively giving you an added value of $120 in your first year.
Looking at the cash back value the Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite card brings, it is no wonder it has been rated as the #1 cash back rewards card many times!
Review Rating Summary: 4.7/5
This credit card ranks well when you consider its juicy cash back rewards, travel insurance, extended warranty, rental car insurance, exclusive VISA benefits, and annual fee.
For a limited time, the card is offering a 10% cash back on all purchases for 3 months.
Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite Card Benefits
Scotiabank has a wide variety of credit cards that cater to the different needs and interests of its cardholders. The Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite card may be the top choice for you if you are interested in cash back rewards as opposed to travel or entertainment rewards.
Some of the benefits and features that make this card stand out include:
1. Cash Back Rewards: The cash back reward offers for this card are significant and include:
- Earn 4% cash back on the first $25,000 you spend on groceries and recurring bill payments per year (up to $1,000 value/year). There is a current promotional offer to earn 10% cash back in your first 3 months on up to $2,000 in spending (value of $200).
- Earn 2% cash back on the first $25,000 you spend on gas and daily transit purchases (up to $500 value/year).
- Earn 1% cash back on all other eligible everyday purchases.
As you can see from the above list, the cash back offers are mouth-watering and the average spender will probably not exceed the maximum thresholds.
If you have a large family and spend a lot of money on grocery shopping, or you do a lot of driving (gas purchases), your cash back potential is huge. Even with an average spend on these categories, you are still looking at a decent amount of money back in your wallet.
2. Annual Fee: The annual fee for this card is $120. While I’d like to not have to pay any annual fees for a credit card, this Scotia card offers several premium benefits which we will touch on later in this review.
When you sign up for a new card, your first-year annual fee is waived. This is equivalent to an additional $120 value in your first year.
3. Travel Rewards: While this card is not focused on earning travel rewards points like the Scotia Gold American Express card, it does offer a variety of travel benefits that come in handy when you travel.
The travel benefits include:
- Travel Emergency Medical Insurance: up to $1 million coverage for you and your family if there is an unexpected illness or accidental injury while you are travelling outside of your home province or territory within Canada (for up to 15 consecutive days)
- Trip Interruption Insurance: up to $2,000 per person and $10,000 maximum per trip
- Flight Delay Insurance: reimbursement of up to $500 per person
- Lost Baggage Insurance: up to $500
- Travel Accident Insurance: up to a maximum of $500,000
4. Car Rental and Insurance: You can get up to a 25% discount when you rent a car at participating AVIS and Budget locations when you pay with your card. In addition, you are eligible for a free rental car collision insurance loss/damage insurance when you pay with your card.
5. Purchase Assurance and Extended Warranty: This gives you insurance coverage against theft, loss or damage, and an extended warranty that doubles the manufacturer’s warranty up to 1 year.
6. Mobile Device Insurance: Smartphones and tablets purchased with your card are covered for up to $1,000 against loss, accidental damage or mechanical failure.
7. Exclusive VISA Benefits: The Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite card entitles you to benefits that are exclusive to Visa Infinite cardholders.
These include access to:
- Complimentary concierge services: They are available to help you buy tickets, make dinner reservations, plan your trip, and more 24 hours a day and 7 days a week at 1-888-853-4458.
- VIP access to top-notch entertainment events, wine tasting at over 60 wineries in British Columbia and Ontario, luxury hotel privileges (such as free WiFi, complimentary breakfast, 3 p.m. checkout), and dining.
- Zero liability: You are fully protected against unauthorized use of your card.
8. Other Features: As with other major credit cards, the Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite comes with a 19.99% interest rate on purchases and 22.99% on cash advances and balance transfers. The grace period allows you to use funds interest-free for 21 days.
Cons of the Card
While my review of the Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite card is overwhelmingly positive, there are a few downsides to note, including:
Supplementary card fees: If you are getting additional cards for a spouse or family member, you can expect to pay $50 for each one.
Income requirement: This card has a minimum individual income requirement of $60,000 or a combined household income of $100,000. Also, you will need to have an excellent credit score to qualify (that is roughly between 760 and 900).
Some may also not like that you need to wait till November to spend your regular cash back rewards as this is when it is credited to your account. In my opinion, this lump-sum payment can be considered as some form of savings and can go towards paying down debt or some other tangible goal.
The bonus cash back (i.e. from the promo offer) is credited to your account earlier and within 2-3 months after the promo ends.
Is Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite For You?
The Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite card excels among cash back cards available in Canada.
For example: Assuming you spend $800 on groceries and recurring bill payments every month, and $200 on gas and daily transit, for a total of $1,000 spend on your card per month.
Groceries and Recurring Bills at 4% cash back: $800 x 4% = $32 | $32 x 12 months = $384/year in cash back
Gas and Transit at 2% cash back: $200 x 2% = $4 | $4 x 12 months = $48/year in cash back
The total is $432 in cash back for the year. Not bad for FREE money, eh?
Note: This calculation above does not include the $120 fee waiver for Year 1, the 1% cash back earned on all other purchases, and the 10% cash back offer in your first 3 months.
This realistic scenario shows you can easily earn $450 or more in cash back annually by using the infinite card. Even if you were to pay the $120 fee, it still leaves you with significant cash back earnings.
In the example shown above, we have also not considered the value of the travel benefits, extended warranty, rental car discount and insurance, concierge services, and more. If you are using your Scotia card when you book your flights and hotel reservations, pay for rentals, or purchase everyday items, this can translate into a lot of money!
When these additional benefits are combined with cash back rewards, the Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite card ranks as the best cash back card within its category in Canada right now.
Another top rewards card that is worth looking at depending on your needs is the Scotia Gold American Express card.
This card gives you 25,000 bonus Scotia Rewards points ($250) after your first $1,000 in everyday spending in the first 3 months. Also earn 5x Scotia Rewards points for every eligible $1 spent on groceries, dining, and entertainment.
- Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card Review
- The Best Scotiabank Credit Cards
- Scotiabank SCENE Visa Card Review
- KOHO Review: Budget, Save and Spend Smartly
Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite Review
Cash Back Rewards
Rental Car Insurance
The Scotia Momentum Visa Infinite card is one of the best cash back cards available in Canada. Easily earn up to 10% in cash back!