If you are looking for a 0% balance transfer card in Canada, you’d be hard-pressed to find any. That said, the MBNA True Line Mastercard offers a promotional 0% interest rate on balance transfers for the first 12 months.
Compared to the 19.99% or more charged by the average card on the market, the MBNA True Line Mastercard also has a standard 12.99% annual interest rate on purchases.
This MBNA True Line Mastercard review covers how it works and compares it to its $39 annual fee counterpart, the MBNA True Line Gold Mastercard.
MBNA True Line Mastercard Benefits
1. No annual fee: This card has a $0 annual fee. You can also add up to nine authorized users for free.
2. 0% balance transfer promo. Pay 0% interest for 12 months on balance transfers completed within 90 days of account opening your account.
3. 12.99% standard purchase rate. Compared to the 19.99% charged by many other cards, the MBNA True Line can save you money in interest fees. Note that cash advances cost 24.99%.
4. Enjoy discounts on car rentals at participating Avis Rent A Car and Budget Rent A Car locations.
This card is easy to apply for as long as you are a Canadian resident and have reached the age of the majority in your province.
MBNA True Line vs. MBNA True Line Gold Mastercard
The MBNA True Line Gold Mastercard is another card on my list of the best balance transfer cards in Canada.
For a $39 annual fee, it offers an industry-low annual purchase interest rate of 8.99% and a balance transfer rate of 8.99%.
In addition, you also enjoy:
- Purchase assurance for 90 days
- Extended warranty for up to 1 extra year
- Car rental discounts
When you compare both cards side by side, the MBNA True Line Gold charges $39 in exchange for a purchase and balance transfer rate that is 4% lower (8.99% vs. 12.99%).
It also offers basic insurance coverage to protect your purchases. For more details, check out my MBNA True Line Gold Mastercard review.
You can also consider a no-fee credit card like the Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card which offers a 1.95% balance transfer rate for 6 months (a 1% transfer fee applies).
Tangerine Money-Back Credit Card
Rewards: Earn up to 2% unlimited cash back in up to 3 spending categories and 0.50% on all other purchases.
Welcome offer: Get an extra 10% cash back on up to $1,000 in spending in the first 2 months ($100 value).
Interest rates: 19.95% for purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances.
Annual fee: $0
If you are looking for a credit card that cuts your interest fees so you can pay off your credit card debt, the MBNA True Line Mastercard works well.
Make sure to make the minimum payments at the very least every month.
A 3% balance transfer fee (minimum of $7.50) applies to each balance transfer transaction.