Conexus Credit Union is the largest credit union in Saskatchewan, followed by Affinity Credit Union and Innovation Credit Union. As of this writing, they also hold the rank of the sixth largest credit union in Canada based on asset size.
This review of Conexus Credit Union covers the various personal and business accounts and services they offer to members.
Who is Conexus Credit Union?
Conexus is a Saskatchewan-based credit union with over 128,000 members, 900+ employees in 39 locations, and more than $8 billion in assets under management.
Conexus Credit Union was founded in 1976, initially starting off as Sherwood Credit Union.
Members of the credit union are part owners and can vote for the Board of Directors and share in the annual profits.
To become a member of Conexus, you must:
- Be at least 18 years of age
- Have 3 years of credit history
- Be a resident of Saskatchewan
- Have a social insurance number
Related: EQ Bank Review and Savings Rates
Conexus Credit Union Accounts: Personal Banking
Conexus offers its members access to chequing and savings accounts, credit cards, mortgages, personal loans, and wealth management services.
Conexus Chequing Accounts
No-Fee Chequing: Unlimited free chequing transactions and deposits with free e-statements. The account does not earn interest, and a $4 fee applies to ATM withdrawals in the U.S. and internationally (CIRRUS).
U.S. Chequing: No monthly fee, earns interest up to 0.05%; $0.60/transaction for online transfers, pre-authorized debits and cheques; $1.00 for withdrawals and transfers conducted in-branch.
Maximizer Chequing: $1.50 monthly fee (waived with a $1,500 minimum monthly balance), earn interest up to 0.05%, pay as you go per transaction.
Conexus Savings Account
Earn a tiered interest rate, 2 free monthly transactions ($5 after), and free deposits.
Conexus Credit Cards
1. Conexus Cash Back Mastercard: $0 annual fee, 19.90% interest rate, earn 1 Conexus Rewards point per $1 spent (double at gas stations), purchase protection and extended warranty, and mobile device insurance.
2. Conexus Centra Gold Mastercard: $50 annual fee, 9.90% interest rate, earn 1 point per $1 spent (1% cash back), common carrier accident protection (up to $125,000), purchase assurance and extended warranty, and auto rental collision/loss damage.
3. Conexus Travel Rewards Gold Mastercard: $99 annual fee, 19.90% interest rate, earn 1 point per $1 spent, travel accident insurance up to $1 million, emergency healthcare insurance, trip cancellation/trip interruption, lost or delayed baggage, 24/7 assistance, purchase protection and extended warranty, and auto-rental collision/loss damage.
4. Conexus World Mastercard: $120 annual fee, 19.90% interest rate, earn 2 points per $1 spent (2% cash back), comprehensive travel insurance, purchase protection, extended warranty, and auto rental collision/loss insurance.
5. Conexus US Dollar Mastercard: $50 USD annual fee, 19.90% interest rate, comprehensive travel benefits, auto rental collision/loss insurance, purchase protection, and extended warranty coverage.
6. Conexus Student Mastercard: $0 annual fee, 11.90% interest rate, purchase protection, extended warranty, and mobile device insurance.
Mortgages and Loans
They offer fixed and variable-rate mortgages, personal loans, RRSP loans, lines of credit, student loans, and HELOCs.
Invest using GICs, term deposits, and mutual funds inside a TFSA, RRSP, RESP, or RRIF account.
Conexus Business Banking
Conexus offers the following accounts and products to its business clients:
Chequing: Business and Agriculture chequing
Savings: Business and Agri-Invest savings accounts.
Credit Cards: Business No-Fee Cash Back Mastercard ($0 annual fee and 19.90% interest rate), Business Preferred Rate Mastercard ($25 annual fee and 12.90% interest rate), and Business Platinum Mastercard ($120 annual fee and 2% cash back rate).
Borrowing: Term loans, small business financing loans, Canadian agriculture loans and leasing, line of credit, letters of credit, and mortgages.
Ways To Bank With Conexus
Members can conduct transactions online through the Conexus Credit Union website, use the Conexus mobile app (iPhone and Android), visit a branch, or via telephone.
Their phone number is 1-800-667-7477, and it is available from Monday to Friday from 7am to 8pm; Saturday from 8am to 5pm, and Sunday from 10am to 4pm.
Conexus Credit Union Fees
Additional service fees may apply to your account. For a complete and updated list of fees, visit their website.
Is Conexus Credit Union Safe?
Your deposit accounts with Conexus are 100% guaranteed by the Credit Union Deposit Guarantee Corporation. CUDGC guarantees the full repayment of deposits held at any Saskatchewan credit union.
Deposits that are covered include:
- Deposits in registered plans, e.g. RRSP
- Accrued interest on deposits, etc.
Mutual funds, safety deposit box contents, and securities held for safekeeping are not covered by the deposit guarantee.
This Conexus Credit Union review is part of a wider series on Canadian Credit Unions.
Credit unions offer an alternative to the big banks and can help you save money through reduced banking fees. Also, as a part-owner, you get a share of the profits!