The BMO Air Miles Mastercard offers you a unique opportunity to earn rewards through one of Canada’s most popular loyalty programs.
Starting with 800 bonus Air Miles and an earn rate of 1-3 miles for every $25 spent, this no-fee card is great for earning Air Miles rewards.
No wonder the BMO Air Miles Mastercard is often featured as an alternative to its premium counterpart, the BMO Air Miles World Elite Mastercard.
This BMO Air Miles Mastercard review covers its benefits, downsides, alternatives, and why it is the best no-fee Air Miles Rewards credit card in Canada.
BMO Air Miles Mastercard Overview
BMO Air Miles Mastercard
Entry-level card for Air Miles rewards
Annual fee: $0
Rewards: Get 3X Miles on purchases made at Air Miles partners.
Interest rates: 20.99% for purchases and 22.99% for cash advances.
Minimum income requirement: $0
Recommended credit score:
On BMO’s website
BMO Air Miles Mastercard Benefits
Below are the benefits offered by the BMO Air Miles Mastercard:
1. Earn 2x Air Mile for every $25 spent at eligible grocery stores.
2. Earn 3x the miles for every $25 you spend at Air Miles partners like Shell, Sobeys, Budget, Metro, Rexall, and others.
3. Enjoy a 0.99% balance transfer rate for 9 months. A 1% transfer fee applies to your transfer amount.
4. Purchase protection for 90 days and extended warranty for up to one extra year.
5. No annual fee.
6. Save up to 25% discount when you use your card to pay for car rentals at participating National Car Rental and Alamo Rent a Car locations.
7. Get up to 15% off eligible shows in Las Vegas, and 15% off Cirque du Soleil shows in Canada.
The BMO Air Miles Mastercard is the entry-level card in the lineup of Air Miles cards provided by BMO. It does not have a restrictive minimum income requirement and has no annual fees.
The card’s main downside is its lack of travel insurance benefits. However, for a no-fee card, this is not so unusual.
How To Redeem BMO Air Miles Rewards
You can redeem your Air Miles for travel purchases (e.g. flights, hotels, car rentals, and vacation packages), merchandise, and various events and attractions.
Is the BMO Air Miles Mastercard For You?
Two of the best Air Miles cards in Canada are offered by BMO:
- BMO Air Miles Mastercard (no fee)
- BMO Air Miles World Elite Mastercard ($120)
The BMO Air Miles Mastercard offers 1 mile for every $20 and has no annual fee.
The BMO Air Miles World Elite Mastercard comes with 2,000 bonus miles, and the $120 annual fee is waived in the first year.
If you meet the $80,000 minimum income requirement for this card, it offers a higher Air Miles earn rate (1 mile for every $10 spent) and other perks:
- A comprehensive VIP membership in Mastercard Experiences provided by Loungekey (plus two annual passes),
- Comprehensive travel insurance,
- 15% discount on flights in North America booked with Air Miles, and more.
If you would like to compare even more cards that offer travel rewards, take a look at this list of the best travel rewards credit cards in Canada.
BMO Air Miles Mastercard Alternatives
American Express Aeroplan Card
Rewards: Earn 2x Aeroplan pts on Air Canada purchases; 1.5x pts dining & food delivery; 1x pts everywhere else; comprehensive travel insurance coverage.
Welcome offer: Get up to 50,000 bonus points in the first year.
Interest rates: Charge card (pay in full each month or 30% interest rate applies).
Annual fee: $120
Tangerine World Mastercard
Rewards: Earn up to 2% unlimited cash back in up to 3 spending categories and 0.50% on all other purchases; VIP perks.
Welcome offer: Get an extra 10% cash back on up to $1,000 in spending in the first 2 months ($100 value).
Interest rates: 19.95% for purchases, balance transfers, and cash advances.
Annual fee: $0
- Tangerine World Mastercard Review
- The Best Low-Interest Credit Cards in Canada
- The Best Credit Cards for No-FX Fees
- Best U.S. Dollar Credit Cards in Canada
- Best Aeroplan Credit Cards
BMO Air Miles Mastercard Review
The BMO Air Miles Mastercard is the best no-fee Air Miles credit card in Canada. This review covers what you need to know and how to get 800 bonus miles.
- 800 bonus Air Miles
- Earn 1 Air Mile for every $20 spent
- 1.99% balance transfer rate for 9 months
- 2x the miles at Air Miles partners
- Purchase protection and extended warranty
- No travel insurance benefits