The BMO Air Miles Mastercard offers you a unique opportunity to rack up rewards through one of Canada’s most popular loyalty programs.
Starting with 800 bonus Air Miles and an earn rate of 1 mile for every $20 spent, this no-fee card is great for earning Air Miles rewards.
No wonder the BMO Air Miles Mastercard is often featured as an alternative to its premium counterpart, the BMO Air Miles World Elite Mastercard.
This review of the BMO Air Miles Mastercard covers its benefits, downsides, alternatives, and why it is the best no-fee Air Miles credit card in Canada.
BMO Air Miles Mastercard Benefits
Summary of Features
- Annual fee: $0
- Purchase APR: 19.99%
- Cash Advances: 22.99%
- Bonus: 800 Air Miles ($80 value)
Here are the benefits offered by the BMO Air Miles Mastercard:
1. Earn up to 800 bonus Air Miles when you sign up for a new card (up to $80 value).
2. Earn 1 Air Mile for every $20 spent using your credit card.
3. Earn 2x the miles for every $20 you spend at Air Miles partners like Shell, Sobeys, Budget, Metro, Rexall and others.
4. Enjoy a 1.99% balance transfer rate for 9 months. A 1% transfer fee applies to your transfer amount.
5. Purchase protection for 90 days and extended warranty for up to one extra year.
6. No annual fee.
The BMO Air Miles Mastercard is the entry-level card in the lineup of Air Miles cards provided by BMO. It does not have a restrictive minimum income requirement and has no annual fees.
The card’s only downside is its lack of comprehensive travel insurance benefits. However, for a no-fee card, this is not unusual.
How To Redeem BMO Air Miles Rewards
You can redeem your Air Miles for travel purchases (e.g. flights, hotels, car rentals and vacation packages), merchandise and various events and attractions.
Is the BMO Air Miles Mastercard For You?
Two of the best Air Miles cards in Canada are offered by BMO:
- BMO Air Miles Mastercard (no fee)
- BMO Air Miles World Mastercard ($120)
The BMO Air Miles Mastercard offers 1 mile for every $20 and has no annual fee.
The BMO Air Miles World Elite Mastercard comes with 2,000 bonus miles and the $120 annual fee is waived in the first year.
If you meet the $80,000 minimum income requirement for this card, it offers a higher Air Miles earn rate (1 mile for every $10 spent) and other perks:
- A comprehensive VIP membership in Matercard Experiences provided by Loungekey (plus 2 annual passes),
- Comprehensive travel insurance,
- 15% discount on flights in North America booked with Air Miles, and more.
If you would like to compare even more cards that offer travel rewards, take a look at this list of the best travel rewards credit cards in Canada.
- Tangerine World Mastercard Review: Earn up to 2% cash back and no annual fees
- The Best Low-Interest Credit Cards in Canada
- The Best Credit Cards for No-FX Fees
- Best U.S. Dollar Credit Cards in Canada
BMO Air Miles Mastercard Review
The BMO Air Miles Mastercard is the best no-fee Air Miles credit card in Canada. This review covers what you need to know and how to get 800 bonus miles.
- 800 bonus Air Miles
- Earn 1 Air Mile for every $20 spent
- 1.99% balance transfer rate for 9 months
- 2x the miles at Air Miles partners
- Purchase protection and extended warranty
- No travel insurance benefits