We all love to travel, but we don’t love the high costs associated with it. It can be tough to budget for a vacation or find the best flights and accommodations.
With that in mind, there are many different travel apps to help you save money, plan the best routes, and find food, hotels, and tools to help you have the best travel experience.
In this comprehensive guide, you will learn about the best travel apps for Canadians that help you save money.
This article discusses how each app works, where it is available, who it is best for, any associated fees, and the pros and cons.
Best Travel Apps of 2023
Below are some of the best travel apps that will help you get around, save money, and book flights and hotels.
Kiwi is a search engine that finds cheap flights other sites can’t. They scan through hundreds of providers to find you the best and cheapest flights, as well as accommodation, with booking.com.
Kiwi has a pricing table where you can view the cheapest days of the month to fly.
With their mobile app, you can download your boarding pass, get exclusive prices and offers, and book your trip.
Kiwi is free to use.
Is Kiwi Legit?
Yes, Kiwi is legit. It has 4.1 stars on the Google Play store and 4.5 on the iOS app store.
- You can see the cheapest dates to book travel
- Price alert feature tells you when flight prices drop
- Not all airlines are listed in the search results
- Some people had issues with bookings and missed flight connections
Hopper is a travel booking app for flights, cars, and hotels. It helps travellers save up to 40% every time they travel by finding the lowest prices available.
This app predicts future flight and hotel price drops, notifying you of a deal. You can book flights and hotels directly in the app.
Hopper features the major airlines in Canada, the US, and around the world, like American Airlines, United Airlines, Air Canada, Air Transat, and more.
Hopper is free to download and use, but a $5 commission goes to the company when booking flights.
You can also pay a small deposit to freeze the price of your flight until a certain date.
Is Hopper Legit?
Hopper is #32 in travel on the iOS app store and has an average rating of 4.7 stars. Most reviews are positive; however, a few people say they had problems with the price freeze and customer service.
- You can easily search multiple hotels and flights for the best prices
- You can get notifications when prices drop
- Some users reported issues with the price freeze feature
- Hopper may not offer the best prices possible
Kayak is a travel app that searches the internet to find flights, hotels, and rental cars. They give you all the options so you can decide which is best for you.
They have tools and features to help narrow down your search, like price alert notifications, creating a travel itinerary, and showing you where you travel destinations depending on your budget.
You can use this app to find accommodations in any country in the world.
Kayak is free to use.
Is Kayak Legit?
This travel booking app is legit, with an average rating of 4.7 on the iOS app store and 4.5 on the Google Play store.
- You get access to the best deals with the lowest prices
- You can set up price alerts
- Use the Trip Planner feature to save all information and create itineraries
- They don’t have control over prices and booking availability
- You can’t book directly through the app
4. Google Translate
Google Translate is a free service that instantly translates words, sentences, web pages, handwriting, speech, and photos between 100+ languages.
This is easily one of the best Android and iOS travel apps you can use on the go.
This app is completely free to use.
Is Google Translate Legit?
Google Translate is legit, with an average rating of 4.1 on the iOS store and 4.4 on the Google Play store. However, it may have some inaccuracies in translating depending on the language.
- Free and fast translation
- Supports over 100 languages
- Some translations may be inaccurate as there is no way to include context
- The quality of translation depends on the language pair
- No system to correct translation errors
GasBuddy is a great travel app for road trips. It finds the cheapest gas stations near you and gives the best deals on gas. It covers 150,000+ gas stations in North America and offers 27 ways to save on fuel for your vehicle.
To use the app, you link your bank account information so that you can pay for gas with the app.
You’ll be shipped a Pay with GasBuddy card that you can insert at most gas stations and save a minimum of 2¢ per gallon.
It is free to sign up and start using the app, as well as receive the Pay with GasBuddy card.
Optionally, you can upgrade to a premium membership, which costs USD $9.99/month or USD $99/year.
Is GasBuddy Legit?
This app is legit, with an average rating of 4.7 on the iOS app store and 4.3 on the Google Play store.
- You can save up to 25¢ per gallon of gas
- GasBack offers similar to cashback at certain retailers, allowing you to get free gas
- Includes features like finding the best gas prices, an outage tracker, and trip cost calculator
- Pay with GasBuddy isn’t accepted everywhere
- Premium may not always be worth the cost
Related: Best Cash Back Websites in Canada.
Airbnb is one of the best travel planning apps. Available in over 220 countries, the vacation app connects people who want to rent out their homes with people looking for accommodations in specific areas.
Often, this is a cheaper and homier alternative to hotels. Hosts rent out their homes to people looking for a place to stay, and all bookings, communication, and payments are done through the app.
Airbnb is free to download and look for accommodations, but guests need to pay for the booking and service fees, typically under 14.2%. Hosts pay a 3% fee to Airbnb.
Is Airbnb Legit?
This travel app is legit, with an average rating of 4.8 on the iOS app store and 4.5 on the Google Play store.
- Wide selection of accommodations from all over the world
- Customizable search features and functions
- Generally cheaper than hotels
- Hosts create their own listings, so what you see may not be what you get
- Added fees like cleaning and service fees
7. Transit App
Transit is one of the best travel apps for getting real-time information for buses, trains, Uber, bikeshare, and more.
You can plan your trips and see exactly where your bus or train is on the map.
It operates in over 300 cities across North America, Europe, Australia, and New Zealand, including Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Chicago, and Washington.
Transit app is completely free to use, but you can upgrade to a premium subscription that costs $4.99/month or $2/month on an annual plan.
Is Transit App Legit?
This app is legit, with an average rating of 4.6 on the iOS app store and 4.4 on the Google Play store.
- Accurate arrival times for trains, buses, and ferries
- Integrated trip planner
- Most features are free
- Doesn’t show information about delays
- No location sharing
The apps below are great alternatives to traditional bank accounts when travelling.
8. EQ Bank
EQ Bank is a banking app that provides more value than traditional banks. It is an online-only financial institution that offers more competitive accounts without high or hidden fees.
With this app, you have higher interest rates and no fees for everyday services.
To open an EQ bank account, you must be a Canadian resident, be the age of majority, and have a SIN number. EQ Bank is not available in Quebec.
EQ Bank does not charge any fees for monthly banking, using your account, sending an Interac e-Transfer, bill payments, and more. There is no catch, and it is completely free.
Is EQ Bank Legit?
Yes, this app is legit. It is owned by Equitable Bank, founded in 1970, and has been in business for many years.
It has an average rating of 4.7 on the iOS app store. It only has a 2.9 average rating on the Google Play store, so it may not be the best app for Android devices.
- 1.65% everyday interest rate
- No monthly account or daily banking fees
- No minimum balance required
- Great travel savings app
- No debit card; you’ll need to use a credit card and pay monthly
- Only available for Canadian residents or citizens
KOHO is a free-spending and savings account with a reloadable prepaid Visa card. It is just like a spending account with the perks of a credit card.
To use KOHO, you put money in your account (by either e-transfer or direct deposit) and use it just like a credit card wherever Visa is accepted. Unlike a traditional credit card, the prepaid card is your funds, and there is no interest to pay.
You can use KOHO anywhere Visa is accepted, besides a few blocked countries.
The standard KOHO account is free to use; however, there are some fees to be aware of:
- $1 inactivity fee for accounts that have been open for 13 months and inactive for six months
- Foreign transaction fees of 1.5% outside of Canada (lower than the standard 2.50%)
- $0.75 Visa Direct Load fee for transactions under $300
You can also sign up for a premium account, which costs $9/month or $84/year, and comes with $0 FX fees, free financial advice, and up to 2% cash back on purchases.
Is KOHO Legit?
This app is legit. It is #13 in Finance on the iOS app store with an average rating of 4.8 and 4.6 on the Google Play store.
- 0.5% cashback with a regular prepaid visa account and 2% cashback on certain categories with KOHO premium
- No monthly fees for the basic account
- Apple Pay compatibility
- Free travel budgeting app
- $20 welcome bonus here (after first purchase)
- $3,000 daily spending limit
- Only the premium card can be used internationally
- You still need a regular bank account to use KOHO
Learn more in this detailed KOHO review.
Below are the best helpful travel apps in Canada for finding flights, hotels, food, and even toilets.
10. Google Flights
This is a travel app for flights, allowing you to find the cheapest airline tickets for your trip. It is one of the easiest search tools to hunt for flight tickets. With this app, you can book round trip or one-way flights from over 300 airline and online travel agencies.
Google Flights is completely free to use.
Is Google Flights Legit?
Yes, it is legit. This app is integrated into the Google Search app and does not have separate iOS or Google Play apps.
- You can almost always book with the airline directly
- You can search from multiple airports at the same time
- It shows a month’s worth of flights
- No designated app on the Google Play or iOS app store
- May have issues with outdated pricing
Related: Best Coupon Apps To Save Money.
Skyscanner is one of the best international travel apps. It is a search engine that checks the prices of flights, hotels, and rental cars with over 1,200 travel agencies, finding the best deals on flights worldwide.
This app finds cheap flights with multi-city searches, a price trend tracker, and a secret “everywhere” feature.
Skyscanner is free to use. They don’t charge any commission or fees to travelers.
It is legit, with many people saying it’s the best travel website for cheap flights. It has an average rating of 4.7 on the iOS app store and 4.7 on the Google Play store.
- Flexible searches and bookings
- Price alert option
- Pricing can be inaccurate at times
- Some flight partners are not the most reliable
You can see past recipient details, make repeat transfers, and use Apple Pay.
You can also get a Wise debit card to spend money around the world with no transaction fees and low conversion rates.
This app is available in 250 countries, including Canada, the US, Australia, the UK, and more.
Wise charges a transaction fee and a small margin on currency conversion. These fees depend on the country and how much money you are sending.
Is Wise Legit?
Yes, it is legit, with an average rating of 4.5 on the iOS app store and 4.2 on the Google Play store.
- Reliable and fast money transfers
- Free to open an account with no hidden fees
- They don’t have a banking license
- No free option to deposit USD
13. Xe Currency Converter
This currency converter app allows you to check live mid-market exchange rates for free.
Xe also has an international money transfer service that works in over 130 countries. It allows you to see the exchange rate when sending money, and you can also create an alert for when a currency hits a specific rate.
There are no upfront fees to arrange a money transfer, but fees for every transfer made. You can get a quote here.
The Xe app is legit, with an average rating of 4.3 on the iOS app store and 3.6 on the Google Play store.
- Many different countries and currencies available for transfer
- Most transfers are completed in one business day
- High fees for money transfers that are not transparent on the website
- Only supports bank account transfers
Skiplagged is a search engine for cheap flights. It finds loopholes in airfare pricing to find you the best deals, showing flights the airlines don’t want you to see.
They find hidden-city trips, where you get off at a layover rather than the final destination.
This app also finds the best rates on hotels which can save you up to 50%.
This app works to find flights across the world.
There is a service fee for every booking through the app, starting at around $8.
Is Skiplagged Legit?
Skiplagged is legit, but often the last resort. It’s looked down upon in the travel industry as skipping out on flights takes a seat away from other travellers. It has an average rating of 4.7 on the iOS app store and the Google Play store.
- You save a considerable amount of money on one-way flights
- Book directly through the app
- Rewards through loyalty programs with different airlines may be better than a cheap flight with this app
- Booking through this app is considered unethical for some
- It only works for one-way tickets
FlightAware is an airplane and flight tracker that shows exactly where your flight is, claiming to be more accurate than the airlines.
You can track flights from all over the world in real-time, check for any delays, see a weather radar, and set up alerts to be notified of any changes.
This travel app is free to use for average users. People like pilots or aviation enthusiasts who want more features can upgrade to an Enterprise WX ($129.95/month), Enterprise ($89.95/month), or Premium + ($39.95/month) membership.
Is FlightAware Legit?
Yes, FlightAware is legit. It had a steady reputation for years, with an average rating of 4.7 on the iOS app store and 4 on the Google Play store.
- Many useful features for free
- Up-to-date and reliable flight tracking information
- Pricey premium plans
- Not the best user interface design
Related: Best Birthday Freebies in Canada.
Hotels.ca is one of the largest travel apps to find cheap hotels and discounts. You can compare different hotel deals, offers, and read reviews.
This app also has a free rewards program to unlock instant savings and get a free reward night for every ten nights you stay. You can book hotels in many different places across the world.
Some of the top destinations include New York, Montreal, Banff, Toronto, Las Vegas, and Paris.
Hotels.ca has fees that vary based on the type of hotel reservation and the amount you pay. Their fees are not very transparent on the website.
Is Hotels.ca Legit?
This app is legit, with an average rating of 4.7 on the iOS app store and 4.5 on the Google Play store.
- Your 11th night at a hotel is free
- Secret deals you can’t find anywhere else
- You get access to flight and hotel packages
- It may be cheaper to book directly from the hotel
- Some hotels may have limited availability
17. Google Maps
Google Maps is the most popular web-based map service that provides detailed information about different locations around the world.
You can search for specific locations all around the world, completely free. It offers aerial, satellite, and street views of many places.
Google Maps is completely free to use with no hidden fees.
Is Google Maps Legit?
Yes, it is legit and is used by more than a billion people every month. It has an average rating of 4.7 on the iOS app store and 4.1 on the Google Play store.
- A wealth of information about road layouts, locations of cities and towns, satellite images, and more
- You can share your location and maps with others
- Directions for trips by car, train, bus, or on foot
- Information in Google Maps may include errors
- No up-to-the-minute info about construction or blocked roads
Uber is a travel app that allows you to request a ride from almost anywhere. You can request a ride on-demand or pre-schedule one.
It works a lot like a taxi, where you request a car on the app and they come to pick you up. Uber has a real-time map, where you can see where the driver is and when they will pick you up.
When you are inside the vehicle, you can see where you are and when you will arrive at your destination.
You can request a ride from over 600 airports and 10,000 cities worldwide.
On top of your ride cost, Uber charges various fees based on a certain percentage, such as a service fee, booking fee, wait fees, surcharges, and HST. You can also tip your driver through the app.
Is Uber Legit?
Yes, Uber is legit. It is #2 in Travel on the iOS app store and has an average rating of 4.6 and the same on the Google Play store.
- Location tracking feature you can share with others
- Split fare option
- Convenient and fast transportation, as there are usually many drivers close by
- High fees that taxis or other similar apps don’t have
- “Surge pricing,” where the cost of rides vary based on traffic and demand
19. Hotel Tonight
Hotel Tonight is a hotel booking app where you can get great last-minute deals on top-rated hotels.
It is great for those who need last-minute accommodation and is very flexible. They have deals for thousands of hotels in North America, South America, Europe, and Australia.
Aside from the booking price, Hotel Tonight does not charge any extra fees from users.
Is Hotel Tonight Legit?
Yes, it is legit, with an average rating of 4.8 on the iOS app store and 4.4 on the Google Play store.
- Quick and easy booking
- Rewards system which adds up the more you use it
- No hidden fees
- Some users report poor customer service
- Does not work in Africa or Asia
LoungeBuddy is a travel app that allows you to purchase access to airport lounges all over the world, starting at $25.
You can book one-time lounge passes with an American Express card whenever you need them.
With this app, memberships or first-class tickets are not required. To use LoungeBuddy, browse through lounges at your airport, purchase a ticket (up to two months in advance), and get access.
This travel app gives you access to over 2,000 airport lounges in cities like London, Dubai, and Singapore. You can see all of their locations here.
A single-use lounge pass starts at $25. Most airport lounge passes are in the $35-$60 range. There are no extra fees or options to upgrade to a membership.
Is LoungeBuddy Legit?
Yes, it is legit. It has an average rating of 4.4 on the iOS app store.
- No membership needed
- Features more luxurious lounges
- You need an American Express card to book lounges
- Can be more expensive than other lounge apps like Priority Pass
Related: Best Senior Discounts in Canada.
Expedia is a one-stop-shop for all your travel needs. It includes vacation package deals, cruises, flight, hotel, and rental car bookings. You can bundle flights and hotels for cheaper options.
This app aims to provide the lowest prices for all bookings, backed with the “Best Price Guarantee.” With Expedia, you can book flights, hotels, and more in countries all over the world.
Expedia is free to join, and their rewards program is free as well. There are no hidden fees.
Is Expedia Legit?
Expedia is legit. It is a well-established website that has booked millions of accommodations.
It has an average rating of 4.8 on the iOS app store and 4.5 on the Google Play store.
- Most of the time, it is cheaper than booking anywhere else
- You can set up a payment plan for your trip, as a “book now, pay later” option
- Many last-minute deals are available
- Cancellation fees if you cancel more than 24 hours after booking
- Reports of poor customer service
Roadtrippers is a travel app where you can plan your next road trip route. To use it, enter where you want to start and end your road trip. You’ll discover the coolest, sometimes unknown places along the way.
This app helps you escape the well-known tourist path and find the best stops. More than 25 million trips have been planned with this app, covering 17 billion miles.
This travel app works in Canada, the US, Australia, and New Zealand.
Roadtrippers is free to plan your route with up to seven waypoints. If you want to go beyond that, you can upgrade to Roadtrippers Plus for $29.99/year, which gives you 150 waypoints per trip plus additional features.
This app is legit, with an average rating of 4.7 on the iOS app store and 4 on the Google Play store.
- Convenient to use and find off-the-beaten-path destinations
- Automatic estimation of gas cost for each trip
- Built-in map with navigation
- Only up to seven waypoints with the basic version
- Some outdated information
- Hefty annual fee if you don’t use this app often
Timeshifter is for those who have jet lag from travelling or shift work.
It helps optimize your sleep and health with NASA-backed science by dealing with the underlying cause of jet lag by shifting the clock in our brains rather than just treating the symptoms.
It uses your sleep pattern, chronotype, and itinerary to create a personalized plan to beat jet lag.
The first jet lag plan is free, with additional plans at $9.99 each. You can subscribe to get unlimited plans for $24.99/year.
Yes, this app is legit, with an average rating of 4.7 on the iOS app store and 4.5 on the Google Play store.
- Personalized plans based on your information
- Some of the app’s suggestions may be unreasonable
- Hefty price of $9.99 for each plan
- Not 100% effective on everyone
Zomato is a travel app that suggests local restaurants based on your location. It shows trending locations, costs, menus, and reviews.
You can also order delivery from select restaurants. Originally founded in India, it has expanded to serve 24 countries.
The app is free to browse, but they charge an additional 5% from customers for each order. Additionally, they charge restaurants a commission fee of 7%, not including delivery fees.
Yes, Zomato is legit. The app has an average rating of 4.6 on the iOS app store and 3.9 on the Google Play store.
- Easy accessibility and variety of many different restaurants
- Promo codes available most of the time
- Fees for delivery orders
- May not have as many restaurants as platforms like UberEats or SkipTheDishes
Citymapper is the ultimate transit app, allowing you to navigate your city with directions for public transportation, walking, cycling, and driving.
You can find the best route by combining multiple transportation methods, and you can compare fares for ride-sharing apps.
This app also includes live wait times and ETA for public transportation, so you know exactly when to leave.
Citymapper is available in most of the US, Canada, and Europe, with it set to expand in the coming years.
Using the app is free, but you can subscribe to Citymapper Pass, a card integrated with their app that you can use to pay for transportation. It is only available in London as of now.
Yes, it is legit. It is #12 in Navigation on the iOS app store, with an average rating of 4.9 and 4.8 on the Google Play store.
- Free to use
- Almost all kinds of transportation are included
- Trip stats every time you travel
- Citymapper Pass only available in London
- Not many countries outside of the US, Canada, and Europe are supported
Related: Best Credit Cards in Canada.
Netflix is an online video streaming platform that offers a wide variety of TV shows, movies, documentaries, and more.
It is one of the most popular streaming services, with more than 222 million subscribers. It is available in over 190 countries around the world.
The basic plan costs CAD $9.99/month, the standard plan is CAD $16.49/month, and the premium plan is CAD $20.99/month.
Yes, Netflix is legit, with over 222 million people watching. It is #6 in entertainment on the iOS app store and has an average rating of 3.6 and 4.4 on the Google Play store.
- Up to four family and friends can use the same subscription depending on the plan
- You can download certain content to watch offline
- Over 100,000 TV shows and movies available
- High price for subscription plans
- Geoblocking – you can only view content in your region
27. Flush Toilet Finder
Once you open the app, it displays the nearest bathrooms to you. It has over 200,000 bathrooms in its database and will tell you if each requires a key, an entrance fee, or is free.
This app is completely free to use.
Yes, it is legit, with an average rating of 4.6 on the iOS app store and 3.7 on the Google Play store.
- An easy, free way to find available toilets
- Shows if bathrooms are free, require a key, or have disabled access
- Does not show every toilet available
- Information may not be accurate
Next time you travel, consider using one or more of the travel apps mentioned above, most of which are free to use.
With them, you can save money and have the best travel experience possible.
No, as of September 2022, ArriveCAN is no longer needed to enter the country. The app is useful and optional, but not many people use it anymore.
Skyscanner, Kiwi, and Kayak have the cheapest flight tickets. They search through hundreds of providers and websites to find you the best deals and prices.
Some ways to save money on flights include using flight booking apps like Skyscanner to find the cheapest days of the week or month to fly out, booking flights as early in advance as possible, or paying for flights with a travel rewards credit card.