A credit card that offers roadside assistance can save you a lot of stress on a cold winter morning and a couple of hundred bucks every year.
Life happens and your car can quit on you unexpectedly especially in Canadian provinces where frequent extreme weather conditions are the norm.
While you can easily just pay for CAA or Costco roadside assistance, the best credit cards in Canada offering roadside assistance services can be just as adequate, and even better, many of them are FREE.
The popular roadside assistance programs offered by these credit cards include:
- Canadian Tire Roadside Assistance
- Deluxe TD Auto Club Membership
- Home Trust Roadside Assistance, and
- BMO Roadside Assistance
For the best credit cards offering free car rental insurance, click here.
Credit Cards Offering Free Roadside Assistance
This list includes no-fee and paid credit cards that offer complimentary roadside assistance in addition to other benefits and perks.
Some of the more common services we have come to expect from a roadside assistance program are 24/7:
- Towing services
- Accidental lockout
- Fuel delivery
- Flat tire change
- Battery boost
- Extrication and winching
Canadian Tire Roadside Assistance
Triangle World Elite Mastercard
The Triangle World Elite Mastercard is a part of Canadian Tire’s Triangle Rewards program and offers a free roadside assistance plan. This Gold -level plan comes with 24/7 towing, fuel delivery, flat tire change, battery boost, lockout and extrication services.
Cardholders get up to 5 services per year plus unlimited tows to any Canadian Tire Auto within a 250 km radius in Canada or the U.S.
You can also pay for Canadian Tire roadside assistance directly if you don’t want to apply for the credit card. In that case, the Gold Plan has a $99.95 annual fee.
- Annual card fee: $0
- Other benefits: 3% in Canadian Tire (CT) Money per 1$ spent on groceries (excludes Costco and Walmart), 4% at CT stores, and up to 7 cents per litre of gas purchased at Gas+ stations, extended warranty, purchase protection and car rental insurance.
Noteworthy: You can register the service to you (and any vehicle you are in) or to one specific vehicle. A minimum personal income of $80,000 is required to be eligible for the card.
You can read my Triangle World Elite Mastercard review.
Deluxe TD Auto Club Membership
TD CashBack Visa Infinite
The TD Cash Back Visa Infinite card provides complimentary access to a Deluxe TD Auto Club membership.
This roadside assistance offers dead battery boosting, tire change, gas delivery (5L free), lockout services, winching services within 200 km in Canada and the Continental U.S.
In addition to these perks, TD Auto Club will provide cash reimbursements up to $250 per call if you are unable to contact them or they are unable to assist.
Lastly, TD Auto Club offers travel accident and stolen vehicle emergency services with the following cash benefits when applicable (i.e. not covered by your car insurance provider):
- Accident towing: up to $200
- Emergency transportation/rental car: up to $200
- Emergency accommodation and meals: up to $200
- Return to location of repair site: up to $200
- Personal necessities: up to $50
The annual fee for the card is $120.
Other benefits: This card offers 3% cash back on groceries, gas and recurring bill payments; 1% cash back on everything else; travel medical insurance, car rental insurance, delayed and lost baggage, purchase protection, and extended warranty.
Noteworthy: You will need a personal income of at least $60,000 to be eligible for this card. Supplementary cards cost $50 per year.
Home Trust Roadside Assistance
Home Trust Preferred Visa
This card does not only provide you with free roadside assistance, but it is also the only no-fee credit card to waive the 2.5% foreign currency transaction fees.
The Home Trust Preferred Visa’s complimentary roadside assistance offers up to four service calls per year in Canada and the U.S.
- Annual card fee: $0
- Other benefits: No-FX fees, car rental insurance, 1% cash back on purchases and purchase protection insurance.
Noteworthy: Their towing services only cover a 5 km radius which restricts where you can tow your car to. For more details about this card, click here.
BMO Roadside Assistance Program
BMO CashBack World Elite Mastercard
The BMO CashBack World Elite Mastercard offers roadside assistance via a free membership in the Dominion Automobile Association.
This basic coverage is worth $69 per year and provides 24/7 coverage for battery boost, emergency gas delivery, flat tire change, lockout services, winching and towing within a 10km radius in Canada and Mainland U.S. (excluding Hawaii and Puerto Rico) – up to 4 service calls per year.
- Annual card fee: $120; waived in the first year.
- Other benefits: Earn 1.5% cash back on all purchases; travel medical protection up to $ million, complimentary Mastercard Airport Experiences, rental car insurance, flight delay, travel accident, purchase protection, and extended warranty.
- Noteworthy: You need a minimum annual personal income of $80,000 to be eligible.
Read my detailed review of the BMO CashBack World Elite.
BMO Cash Back World Mastercard
The BMO CashBack World Mastercard offers a roadside assistance plan similar to its World Elite counterpart.
- Annual fee: $79
- Other benefits: 1.25% cash back on all purchases; travel protection, car rental discounts, complimentary membership in Mastercard Airport Experiences provided by LoungeKey, 3% cash back at Shell, purchase protection and extended warranty.
- Noteworthy: A minimum personal income of $60,000 is required to apply.
Free Roadside Assistance Plans in Canada
Below is a quick summary of roadside assistance services offered by the credit cards listed above.
Which Roadside Assistance Plan is For You?
It depends. If you do not want an extra credit card in your wallet, you can simply pay for a CAA or Costco roadside assistance.
For a no-fee card, the Triangle World Elite Mastercard and Home Trust Preferred Visa offer great value.
For a premium credit card, the TD Cash Back Visa infinite offers a comprehensive roadside assistance plan that is hard to beat.