The American Express Aeroplan Card is an excellent addition to your wallet if you are a travel addict looking to maximize the Aeroplan loyalty program.
Following a revamp of the Aeroplan program last year, American Express introduced a suite of credit cards you can use to earn Aeroplan points on just about every purchase.
Not only that, but the cards also offer unique sign-up bonuses and access to exclusive Air Canada benefits.
The three new AMEX Aeroplan Cards are:
- American Express Aeroplan Card;
- American Express Aeroplan Reserve Card, and
- American Express Aeroplan Business Reserve Card.
American Express Aeroplan Card – At a Glance
- $120 annual fee
- Earn up to 40,000 bonus Aeroplan points and a bonus Buddy Pass
- Earn 2 points per $1 spent on Air Canada purchases
- Earn 1.5 points per $1 spent on dining and food delivery
- Earn 1 point per $1 spent on everything else
- Enjoy comprehensive travel insurance coverages
- Access to Air Canada Travel benefits
- Free Uber Pass membership for 6 months
- Charge Card with no spending limit
- 30% annual interest rate on outstanding balances
- It is made with 70% reclaimed plastic
- Get up to $1,200 in value in the first year*
American Express Aeroplan Card Benefits
The American Express Aeroplan Card offers new cardholders up to 40,000 Aeroplan points when they meet the spending requirements.
- 10,000 points and a bonus Buddy Pass for an eligible round-trip flight within North America when you spend $1,500 or more within the first 3 months.
- 2,500 points each monthly period you spend $500 or more in the first 12 months of Cardmembership (up to 30,000 points)
The regular earn rate when you spend with this card is 2x the points on Air Canada purchases and vacations; 1.5x the points on dining and food delivery, and 1x the point on everything else.
Purchases made at participating Aeroplan partner brands earn double the points.
Air Canada Benefits
Travel on an Air Canada flight is easier with the Amex Aeroplan Card. The first bag you check-in is free and this also applies to up to 8 companions who are travelling with you on the same reservation.
With every $10,000 spent using your card, you earn 1,000 Status Qualifying Miles which makes it easier to reach the coveted Aeroplan Elite Status level much faster.
Travel Insurance Coverage
The American Express Aeroplan Card offers a better-than-average insurance package for travellers, including;
Travel Accident Insurance: Up to $500,000 to cover accidental death or dismemberment.
Flight Delay Insurance: If your flight is delayed for 4 hours or more, you could claim up to $500 for eligible expenses.
Baggage Delay Insurance: If your baggage is delayed for 6 hours or longer, you could claim up to $500.
Hotel Burglary Insurance: Up to $500 coverage if you lose personal items due to a burglary at your accommodation.
Lost or Stolen Baggage Insurance: Up to $500 if your bag is lost or damaged while in transit.
Car Rental Insurance: Cardholders enjoy coverage for up to 48 consecutive days when they rent a car with an MSRP of $85,000 or less.
To enjoy the travel insurance coverage offered by this card, you should fully charge your ticket, hotel fees, or car rental to it. For car rentals, you must also decline the CDW and LDW offered by the car rental company.
This card comes with purchase security and extended warranty coverage.
New users also get a free Uber Pass membership for 6 months with access to an unlimited $0 delivery fee on eligible restaurant orders of $15 or more, 5% off eligible restaurant orders over $15, and exclusive Rides Perks.
As an American Express card, cardholders can access perks such as the American Express Experiences and Front Of The Line benefits.
American Express credit cards are not as widely accepted by merchants as are those issued by Visa or Mastercard.
The Amex Aeroplan Card is a charge card which means you do not get a predefined credit limit. While this makes for flexible spending, you need to pay off your statement balance every month. A 30% annual interest rate applies to outstanding balances.
If you need supplementary cards, they cost $50 each.
Alternative Credit Cards for Aeroplan Points
One other credit card that is great for earning Aeroplan points is:
Features of this card include:
- $699 annual fee
- Up to 100,000 bonus points when you meet the eligibility requirements
- 3 points per $1 spent on dining and food delivery in Canada
- 2 points per $1 spent on eligible travel
- 1 point per $1 spent on everything else
- Comprehensive travel insurance
- Complementary access to 1,200+ airport lounges worldwide
- $200 annual travel credit and more
Learn more in this review.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can use your points to book flights on Air Canada as well as book hotels, car rentals, and vacation packages. You can also purchase merchandise and gift cards.
There are no designated Amex credit cards in Canada. That said, the SimplyCash Card from American Express is a no-fee card that offers 1.25% cash back on all purchases. It has no minimum income requirement.
American Express Aeroplan Card Review
The American Express Aeroplan Card is an excellent addition to your wallet if you are a travel addict looking to maximize the Aeroplan loyalty program. This review covers what you need to know.